Resolved Is my frogspawn dying/dead?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by country1911, Oct 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. country1911

country1911 Coral Banded Shrimp

Done, thanks! I moved it to the fuge. Probably just leave it there, if there aren't any drawbacks?

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Wow!!! I had 3 common peppermint shrimps in my DT and never bother my frogspawn. They did mess with my dendro, every time after I fed it. The peppermint shrimp would get on it and start sticking his hands in the dendro's mouth, stealing the food.

Here's how I removed it:

http://www.3reef.com/forums/general-reef-topics/shrimps-stealing-food-corals-im-very-irritated-about-please-help-96480.html

1 person likes this.
  4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

My peps (one of my favorite critters before the INCIDENT) went up to the first LPS i ever bought (my tricolor frogspawn) and poped all the bubbles and ate them. He died shortly there after from the coral dip still on the coral in trace ammounts. The pep that ate my blasto was captured and place in my 46, ironically he died after turning black from eating something in there, and then after i though my blasto died, i placed it in the 46. Point being, is that critter who are know for eating one type of invert (aptaisia) will eat another. Maybe not all the time, but once they do they won't stop.

1 person likes this.
  5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

When we place animals in a enclosed environment, they are going to display behaviors that you do not see commonly in nature, it is about adaptation IMO.

Hobbyist can make generalization regarding what they see going on in their system, but I garauntee someone will almost always have a different experience with them.

One of my favs is dotty backs. This is a aggressive fish by nature, but some individuals can keep them in a reef tank without problems. The same can be said for angels, while in nature they may not pick at clams, but in an enclosed system a clam can quickly become fair game.

It is all very interesting indeed.:)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  6. country1911

Well the pep is in the fuge for now. I may take him to the LFS and just let them have him. I have noticed that in the last few days he has dramatically changed color. He used to be a kind of opaque red and hide most of the time, then I noticed yesterday that he was a bright red and out in the open most all of the time.

The kicker is I had 1 aiptasia when I got him and he never touched it. I ended up using joes juice on it...

And that is exactly how the frogspawn looks, like it has been popped. Is it dangerous to my system to leave it in overnight and see if it recovers, or should I play it safe and pull it tonight? I will say that the remaining tentacles have perked up a bit and are no longer limp.

7. ingtar_shinowa

I left mine and its recovered very well! keep it in a lower flow and he will slowly rebuild the tissue. I didnt get any of the green to regen though so my frogspawn is pink on purple, i like it but the green would have made it so much cooler! If you are worried run a little bit of carbon too. I hate pepermint shrimp now :)

8. Click Here!

9. country1911

Sweet thanks, K+. Mine is purple tips with green limbs so hopefully it will come back.

Thanks again everyone!

10. FLfishGirl

FLfishGirl Fire Shrimp

Hmmmm, I had a small colony of blastos mysteriously get ripped apart after I added my 2 peppermint shrimp. I didn't know they would do that... thank God something in my tank ate them. LOL

11. ingtar_shinowa

they are almost as bad as clownfish in my book

12. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

Wow, I have 3 peps in my tank. No problems other then my doughnut coral having issues. Although I'm suspecting my nitrate problem is the cause as ALL other LPS are thriving including 4 different euphyllia strains.