is my clam suppose to look like this?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by billrwilson, May 1, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

i just baught a clam and as i put it in my tank i looked at the bottom of it and it is open like a hole there. is this where the foot is and where it attaches itself to things? there is a small rock attached inside the opening should i pull the rock out or what? i suppose know one will know what im talking about.here are some pics. the one has the hole covered with flesh the other is when i touched it it opened like that. what kind of clam is he/she. he has been in my tank for 1 week. he opens fully and this is the only time i did and ever will touch him. i dont want to stress him.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

I would just leave it alone. Clams dont like it when you pull their foot ^^

4. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

i didnt pull his foot or anything.

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Looks like a crocea clam. It could be damage done during collection. If there is a rock inside it could have pulled it's foot all the way inside.

I usually spend more time looking at the bottom of a clam than the top when purchasing. If the foot is gone that does not mean the clam is doomed. But it may struggle to remain health. I would let it be and see if it recovers.

J

6. billy31422

billy31422 Feather Duster

looks like a crocea to me also. i have one and they like to be on rocks so the foot can attach. might help to move it off the sand bed. clams need a lot of light so i would move him high in the tank as well. your pc lighting may not penetrate enough at the bottom of a 75