Is my clam ok?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by juliew, Dec 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. juliew

juliew Coral Banded Shrimp

We just picked up a tridacnid clam today & it wasn't until we put him in the sandbed that I noticed that there is a hole in the mantel. Is this normal? I haven't seen anything about it, so I'm not sure.

[​IMG]

Here's a pic. The hole is on the left, about 1/4 size of the mantel. If he's not okay, I want to return him to the LFS.

thanks,
    julie

2. Click Here!

3. juliew

I tried to get a better pic, but I can't. What I can say is that I can see the inside of the clam through the hole.

Don't know if that's ok or not.

4. jeremy_a

jeremy_a Feather Duster

1 person likes this.
  5. juliew

Thanks jeremy -

Yes, that's what it looks like.

I appreciate your help!

K+

julie

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

It looks like a crocea clam which require very high lighting. Unless you have strong MH, I would place it on a rock towards the top half of the aquarium, not in the sand. T. Crocea will actually bury itself into a rock. regardless of what species, I would put it on some sort of rock so if you ever want to move it you can. If you don't, it may attach itself to the bottom of your tank.

2 people like this.
  7. juliew

Thanks GM89 -

You're right, it is a crocea :-[......... We currently have it about in the middle of the tank. We've got 2X150 MH - is that enough light?

thanks,
    julie

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I don't know much about clams, but i've seen a bunch of healthy ones in the stores and peoples tanks where you can see down in them. Especially as they get bigger. Fish even swim in the big ones.

10. paintball7

paintball7 Feather Duster

yeah thats enough light.....my friend has the same 2x150 MH and he has 2 very good looking clams a crocea and a squamosa ( spelling ) squamosa are really cool looking

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

You could be ok, but 300 watts over a 90 isn't all too much. They do have the penetrating power for that depth, but you may want to think about moving it up a little. The thing with clams is that they take a while to die and also, when they are small, under 3" they also take in and rely on nutrients in the water, as they grow and age they become almost totally dependent on light. Is it just in the sand or did you put a shell or rock under to so that it can attach itself to it?

12. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I would move it up as high as possible. Thats not much lighting in a 90 for keeping a clam at all. How big is the clam?