Is my anemone sick?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by muskrat, Jun 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. muskrat

muskrat Bristle Worm

I thought, after having seen the Percula feed him twice, that he was all set. He was buried way below a rock and now that I'm moving livestock over to my 75 gallon tank I noticed he looks sickly. Thoughts? Is he a gonner and should I bother bringing him over? I did try to feed him today with no success. Thanks for chiming in on this guys.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

What do you mean by looks sickly? What sort of behavior have you seen & how long as it been going on?

4. muskrat

muskrat Bristle Worm

he's not the same coloration as when I bought him three months ago. He appears to have fewer tentacles....I know....but they are certainly shorter as in shrinking. Nemo is still all over him but it doesn't seem to help. Am I just dreaming this problem up? I've been known to do so in the past.

5. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

what type of nem is that? how long have you had it? how long has your tank been running? we need more specs such as this.

6. muskrat

muskrat Bristle Worm

I honestly don't remember what type it is. The tank has been running since February 2011. Stats are as follows:
    PH 8.2
    Salinity 1.023
    Phosphate 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0
    Ammonia 0

7. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

how long have you had the nem? its suggested you wait 10 months to a year after your tank is cycled before adding a nem to insure stability. i really have no guess as to what type of nem it is as it could be several they all can look the same at some point. almost looks like a rock nem but the clown would most likely not be hosting so i dont have a clue

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It is a BTA. Coloration changes are common.

It looks fine although a little starved. Stubby tentacles.

Not a goner by any means. I would however attempt to feed it small pieces of raw seafood like fish, clams, scallops, that you find at your local grocery store. Feed once a week. If it does not accept the pieces try again in a few days. Remove any uneaten or expelled pieces from the tank.

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Those are actually signs of the Anemone being happy. Lighting will over time change the colour of the anemone. When they are happy they will expand and it will appear the tentacles are fewer and shorter

J

11. muskrat

muskrat Bristle Worm

ok. going to get some water for my big tank so I'll get a feeder and then drop by the grocery store. The percula sure loves to hit me when I get near him.....fun

12. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

hmm, you must be right. i have never seen a bta like this but im sure its possible they have many variations of shape and color.