Is my Anemone Dying?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by njones623, Jul 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. njones623

njones623 Plankton

I bought this anemone on Friday. It seemed fine up until about a half an hour ago. I'm not sure what kind of anemone it is. It has brownish tentacles, with an orange color foot. The clown hasn't given up on it.

Thank you[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

It doesn't look bad. It's just closed up. Have you recently fed it?

What lights are you running?

4. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

without seeing it open it looks like a condylactus anemone. thats EXACTLY how mine would look when it was a) just fed b) about to start moving itself to a better location

being that you just got it, it might be getting ready to move to a spot it deems comfortable. when i introduced mine to my 75gal reef it moved around the first week a couple times till it found a decent rock it liked.

5. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

if it has dots on the foot, it is a long tentacle anemone (what i have) mine does this when its lights out for the night. im guessing you just turned off you lights didnt you?

also these do best with MH lighting. it is recommended to use only MH with these anemones. depending on how many T-5s you have, you could be fine. dont get one with PC lights.

6. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Looks like a closed up entacmaea quadricolor, aka bubbletip anemone, to me. They will close up like that when they are being irritated. Maroons are especially hard on anemones, so I suspect this is one of those cases. The anemone should be at least 2x the length of the host clown fish. My maroon burned through 2 BTAs, so she's not allowed to have any more.
    Anemones are best suited with halide lighting, but can get by with strong T5s if the anemone is high up in the tank.

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

+1 on this, the anemone looks way too small to host that clown.

8. Click Here!

9. njones623

njones623 Plankton

I think the picture is kind of deceptive. The maroon clown is actually tiny. It's like maybe an inch at most. Usually that anemone is way bigger. I actually bought them together because they seemed like they had a strong bond. This is just a small 29 gallon tank (biocube). The lights are listed as Actinic 36 Watt Lamp and 10,000K 36 Watt Lamp. Sorry, for the slow response. I didn't realize anybody responded. I have a new issue that is related to this. I also have a percula clown that has been in the tank since I started it a year and a half ago. It has never taken to any anemones. So the maroon has been safe in the anemone until today. The Percula realized it can go in the anemone and it has been beating up the maroon pretty badly. I used to have African Cichlids, and the brutality this percula is handing out is as bad as any fish on fish violence I've ever seen. I read somewhere putting the aggresive fish in some kind of clear receptacle for a while might help. I'm contemplating taking the fish out and moving all the rocks around. That used to work with my cichlids. The maroons fins are chewed up pretty badly. He's floating in a net at the top of the tank right now.

10. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Even though the maroon is small, the anemone should still be at least 2x the fish's length to adequately host a fish. Maroons wear out anemones extremely fast and the nem needs to be large enough to be able to regenerate the lost tentacles.
    Putting in multiple breeds of clowns in such a small tank a recipe for disaster, unfortunately. To put it in perspective, my maroon that is huge 8" long, is all alone in a 30g system. Even that is a bit small for a maroon. I hope that your little guy is ok, I know how stressful it can be to see them get beat up so badly. :(

11. sluggervillan

sluggervillan Plankton

New to Anemones

We just p/u our first anemone. He/She was acclimated only 30-45 mins; nevertheless, when he/she attached to a rock then opened up and started to move about. In the morning, we awoke to find it being sucked into the filter inlet. It seems to have lost most of its tentacles. We were going to dump it in the trash until we noticed it was reattached itself to the container/bowl it was in after being freed from the inlet. Five hours later, it is stall attached to the rock we set him/her on. Sadly, it just doesn't look good. Will he recover?

Sorry the pictures not the best... any tips on taking better photos of tank life? I have a Sony DCS-W150

Attached Files:

12. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

you will just have to wait and see. they can sometimes surprise you. What size is your tank? the reason i ask is that when it dies, it can pollute your water. this is especially true for a smaller tank. Give it every chance to survive but watch it closely.