Is my Anemone dying????

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by reefinAnE, Oct 28, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

They can be rather a pain to keep

HI,
    I have been strugglin with one myself, they tend to sulk around the tank, and can sting corals.
    mine hate when I add any type of buffer and will start barfing or shrinking almost instantly.
    My large Clarki take care of mine for me be sure its gets some food every once in a while . I have had mine reach over 7 inches diameter and then shrink back down for little or no reason.
    I ve had pretty good luck with LTA's but they do need to find a spot with good water flow.
    I read somewhere they need a good water flow to help them breath better,
    they tend to need the flow to breathe better.
    They can get lost in the rock though so I corall mine with small pieces of rock , I usally try and keep them in the open so I know where they are.
    Doug
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. reefinAnE

reefinAnE Plankton

Well everyone right now she is looking a lot better. She actually moved over a little and attached a little further back on a rock. She is open as well, but I understand now the shrinking will happen time to time, it scared me for a bit!

Bulltrader - we have never heard of a silverside? is this just a fish we can get at our LFS?

Cuttingras - Thanks for your input! Yes we did drip acclimate, the process took about an hour. We followed a how to we found online. Was this sufficient?

Diver 1298/ Jim - Thank you for your suggestions. Also, later when we are able to feed her, what exactly is best for her? Shrimp? and how often would you suggest?

And I've got another question for you guys, we tested our water and all levels are excellent except are carbon is much too high? What do we do to regulate this? And does the carbon have a huge affect on our tank and on what exactly? Thanks again everyone for your help!

4. reefinAnE

reefinAnE Plankton

Doug - Thanks for your input. Yeah, I guess we didn't understand how delicate these things really were. But any suggestions and input are greatly appreciated! I think this morning my boyfriend added the calicium and after that she had shrunk. Could this have been the cause of it?

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

you're testing for carbon?? is that ca?? calcium? what is yours reading? and what all do you have in your tank? yes and hour is good, shrimp I acclimate longer about 2 hours for them. what kind of lights do you have? they(anemone's) like high output lighting

6. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

Silversides are small bait fish, usually found in LFS or bait shop.

7. reefinAnE

reefinAnE Plankton

Carbon is Kh. It was a test in our "Reef Master Test Kit." Is that a problem that it is too high or is it unnecessary? We have T-5 lighting and also lunar lights that we bought seperately. Well we were told that this lighting would be sufficient, so please let me know if we were false informed!

About the silversides, is this something anemones eat regularly? So we would feed them to them live, frozen, dried??

Thanks everyone!

8. Click Here!

9. IBMGeek

I dont have an anemone but read you can feed a small piece of shrimp, or silverside (dead), or just about any other meaty food you feed the fish.

10. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

They should do fine! Do you have 50/50 which is 50% daylight 50% actinic? How many bulbs do you have on the light bar?

BTW how big is this tank we're talking about?

About the KH I've never really known what that meant other than if you have hard or soft water and from what I understand the ocean is very hard...... Anyone??

11. IBMGeek

12. reefinAnE

reefinAnE Plankton

no it is not a 50/50.. there is two lights. we have a 20 gallon tank, but will soon be upgrading to our 40 gal. Also I was told not to leave the t-5 lights on for more than 10 hours of the day to keep the algae growth under control. Is this correct?