Is my anemone dying?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by unadon, Mar 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NITTINID

NITTINID Astrea Snail

That is called an Atlantic sea anenome,I have 4...keeping a low Nitrate level is very crucial to their survival,even under t5s. Sometimes they look dead or look like their dying...when they produce waste...they shrivel up and turn a dirty brown color..but their not dead...their just consentrating real hard...:) Throw he canister away...THEY ARE NITRATE FARMS!!!A good sump with lots of live rock and plants is the answer to keeping levels low.
    Good Luck!!

90 GALLON DISPLAY
    IN DISPLAY TANK;

180 LBS FIJI PREMIUM LIVE ROCK
    90 LBS LIVE SAND
    (3) 50 GPH POWERHEADS
    (2) 1300 GPH POWER HEADS

30 GALLON SUMP
    IN SUMP;
    40 LBS LIVE SAND
    55 LBS FIJI PREMIUM LIVE ROCK.
    PHOSBAN REACTOR(150)
    10 WATT U.V STEROLIZER (DONT HAVE AN ICK PROB)BUT JUST IN CASE
    CORALIFE SUPER SKIMMER(150)
    CORALIFE SUPER SKIMMER(65)
    THEY WORK GREAT FOR ME!
    (ELITE) 200 WATT HEATER

LIGHTING IN DISPLAY;
    T5 NOVAS (6 BULB FIXTURES)
    48 INCH MARINLAND L.E.D REEF LIGHTING
    48 INCH (24) BLUE LED MOONLIGHT

LIGHTING ;
    IN SUMP
    30-90 WATT FLOOD LAMP

(MY UNDERWATER KIDS)...SAILFIN TANG,YELLOW TANG,YELLOW HEAD ANGELFISH,DIAMOND WATCHMAN GOBY,(2) BLUE GREEN CHROMIS
    (4) ATLANTIC SEA ANENOMES,(20) MEXICAN TURBO SNAILS,(6)CERITH SNAILS,(10)RED LEGGED HERMIT CRABS,(10) BLUE LEGGED HERMIT CRABS,

IN SUMP;
    (2)GREEN EMERALD CRABS
    (5) BLUE LEGGED HERMIT CRABS
    (5) RED LEGGED HEMIT CRABS

GOOD WATER QUALITY AND GOOD WATER MOVEMENT IS THE KEY!!!

TO tHoSe WhO rOcK...WiTh A fiLTeR sOcK.....
    >>>>>>> I SOLUTE YOU <<<<<<<<

iMa bE 90 YEaRs OLd DoIn a 30% wAtEr ChAnGe...jUsT HaNd ME My CaNe aNd My SYPhON HoSe....IMa bE rOcKiN TilL I dIe...

2. Click Here!

3. unadon

unadon Plankton

Thanks, all! I'm actually not running a canister filter -- rather, instead of a RO/DI filter for processing fresh water for water changes, I have a one canister de-ionizer. Sorry for the confusion. I have LR/LS and a skimmer with a hang on the back power filter for carbon (which I'm not sure I should be running all day because of removal of trace elements). Additionally, I have been told that my 2 sand sifting starfish may have sterilzed my deep sand bed. Anyhow, I am thinking of setting up a DIY sump but am struggling to figure out how to do the plumbing -- do I just need a hang on back overflow box and a return pump?

4. hydrologic

hydrologic Feather Duster

Pretty much, ya. The important part is to match the overflow to the return pump (they don't have to be exact) If the overflow is too small then the DT will overflow. If the overflow is too big you may not ever get the siphon going. Most people here like the eshopps overflows because they hold their siphons so well. I use a CPR overflow. I like it but I might be in a slight minority.
    A sump has so many advantages, the main one being extra concentrated biological filtration. This will really help you get those nitrates down.

5. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

The stand alone DI will work, but without a RO membrane filtering the water first the DI resin will get used up quickly.

6. destinationluna

destinationluna Skunk Shrimp

by the way In the name of eshopps over flows I have a brand new one around here somewhere if you need it $30 plus shipping and its all yours I believe it is a 300GPH model. Id have to find it but its an option for you It needs a bulkhead for the bottom but all other parts are there and has never been used. Just send me a PM if your interested.

this is what it is Eshopps PF300 Overflow Box, 10-75 gal tank, Single - AquaCave

I picked it up for a 75 gallon build I was working on and then Picked up a reef ready 90 gallon so never used it.

7. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

yes this anemone is most commonly referred to as a condy anemone, they are an ok beginner anemones but i had one eat my yellow tang! lol. also they move around alot.

they are probably the most hardy of the anemones but by no means does that mean they are easy, you still need to have good water quality just not as good as the clown hosting nems.

8. Click Here!

9. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

This is a condi, and although moderately hardy, they still need quality lighting and water. They have been known to eat any fish that comes their way. They are known to be aggressive. One thing is for sure, clown's will not host this anemone. We have a LTA anemone under two 400w halides and it grows like crazy and the mated pair of clowns love it.

10. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

the thing is clowns do host them, but only the easy ones like maroons and clarkiis. and this is bad because long term the condis sting will eventually kill them

11. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

In my experience I have never known one to be hosted by a pair of clowns. But I am sure anything is possible. 8)

12. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

in denver you cant even walk into a petco without seeing a maroon or clarkii hosting a condy. they will take anything they get. even if it kills them.