Is my anemone dying?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by unadon, Mar 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Look into the a T5 fixture, at the very least and when appropriate setting up a sump rather than going with canister filtration. Again watch that anemone very closely and monitor your ammonia and nitrate levels closely.

2. Click Here!

3. french4orlife

french4orlife Spaghetti Worm

What has been 100% correct??? That was just my 2 cents, and I'm also not that "new" as many may think, ive kept 1 ritteri and 2 sebaes healthy for 2 years, so I have some "experience" too

4. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

im not trying to be rude with those comments. and there is no need for you to be. its my opinion you dont have to agree with it. if you have more than a 4 bulb t5 fixture that much light isnt as good as moderate lighting that pc's give.

5. unadon

unadon Plankton

Thanks for all the input. Here is a most recent picture, which in my view looks better. I can see its mouth opening, and someone from my LFS suggest that I try to feed it a piece of shrimp or squid. Should I do that? How do I do it? Just push the food into the opening?

What I have running is not canister filtration, but a CPR Aquatic bak pak protein skimmer with live rock and live sand. I might run another small protein skimmer after I install my T5 HO lighting tomorrow. Any thoughts on whether I should run a power filter with activated carbon?

Attached Files:

6. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

make sure the t5 fixture is not over 4 or 6 lights because then it will hide under a rock in order to acclimate. i would suggest sticking with pc's its just an unnecessary change imo

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would not attempt to feed the anemone until it is fully inflated. A gaping oral opening like that suggest the anemone is still under stress. A healthy anemone will take the food when placed on it's tentacles, it should never placed into the oral opening, it will only rot inside and cause a decline in water quality and a possible bacterial infection.

I myself like running carbon, especially in a tank with anemones.

Good luck.

8. Click Here!

9. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

plus one, carbon works wonders for tanks. expecially if the anemones happens to die

10. unadon

unadon Plankton

11. unadon

unadon Plankton

Also, do you think 80 degrees is too high temp?

12. unadon

unadon Plankton

I'm just really glad i didn't just grab it out of my tank and throw it out (as one LFS advised me to do). Hopefully it will make it.