Is my anemone dying?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by unadon, Mar 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. unadon

unadon Plankton

Hey guys, new to this forum. Hope someone can tell me if my first anemone is dying (photo attached). I got it last week, and it was doing well for the first few days, then 2 days ago it starting shrinking and its tentacles started looking shrively and stringy and not full like before. It also moved from the original rock it had attached to. Oh, and earlier the middle part where its mouth is looked like there was cottony tissue paper like substance and when my Clown (pictured) when into it, one or two small bits would break off.

I just did a water change, and hope it comes back. I read that they like higher temps, so I adjusted my thermometer from 77.5 to 79 degrees. My lights are fluorescent Ocean Sun 10000k from Petco. I'm thinking of changing to a higher output light like a T5 tomorrow. Would appreciate any thooughts / input on what is happening and how to save it!!! Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. french4orlife

french4orlife Spaghetti Worm

What is the exact type of lighting you have? Compact fluorescent it sounds like..what is the size of the tank, and how many watts is the bulb? How long has the tank been set up? What are your params? All these are very important things to consider when buying an anemone

4. unadon

unadon Plankton

It is compact fluorescent; 10,000k bulb in a 46 gallon bowfront aquarium. The tank is around 6 months old. Nitrates are around 40; pH 8.2 - 8.4; kH is on the high side at >200 but i was told by LFS that this is not an issue.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef,

Hard to tell what type of anemone exactly it is from the image, did you get a name?

Yes I would upgrade your lighting ASAP.

The fact that pieces are coming off and you describe what sounds like mesenterial filements protruding does not bode well for the anemone.

Watch your tanks water quality for a raise in ammonia level very carefully and remove anemone if you see ammonia levels begin to rise. If the anemone continues to look the same or worse. Be prepared to do a water change as well.

1 person likes this.
  6. french4orlife

I would upgrade to t5 asap, compact fluorescent is not good enough for anemones. How many watts are the bulbs

7. unadon

unadon Plankton

I believe it is a long-tentacle anemone (you can see it has a red base from the pic). It is actually doing better right now after the water change. Hopefully with my new t5 ho lighting which i will buy tomorrow it will come back. Keeping fingers crossed. I also think i should invest in a good RO/DI unit (i'm currently just using an aquarium cannister water filter). Any ideas as to what brand to get? Any recommendations for either the lighting or RO/DI unit would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

i agree with the prior posts. you also should try to get those nitrates down. in my opinion, that's a little high for an anemone.

10. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

this is definately a lta, they do not need nigh light they are like bta's, in fact they do better under pc's than t5's

11. french4orlife

In my experience, i don't agree....my anemone did MUCH better under t5's than cf.......

12. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i have had much experience with anemones, i currently have a ritteri in my 90 that ive had for 3 years. i know plenty about anemones and in my experience this has been 100 percent correct