is my acrylic overflow box design perfect?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by nanomania, Sep 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

looks fine to me, however in the rear of the overflow box i heard putting an elbow rather than a straight drain will reduce slurping sounds

2. Click Here!

3. Hydronaut

Hydronaut Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Your design looks similar to one I built a few years back, except I used a u-tube to move water over the edge of the tank. Also used an HGB style standpipe which was dead silent. I managed to dig up some old pics, which might give you a few ideas for your design:

DIY "Hofer Gurgle Buster" (HGB) style standpipe:
    [​IMG]

Note the nylon screw on the base is used to level the overflow against the outside tank glass:
    [​IMG]

I used a slot plus a nylon screw/wing nut for water level adjustment:
    [​IMG]

DIY PVC u-tube shown here:
    [​IMG]

4. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

i liked this u-tube also, so was planning to build both, thanks for the pics. mine is a 15 gal nano (15"cube), planning to add a sump. so want to make it. any ideas on the flowrate?

5. Hydronaut

For a 15 gal, I would shoot for anywhere between 100 and 200 gph. You could plan for a bit higher than you want and use a ball valve on the return line to fine tune your flow.

6. nanomania

ya thats a good idea.

7. nanomania

hey are my dimensions correct? was planning going an inch less on the front and back as its looking pretty big in my tank when i measured.

8. Click Here!

9. Hydronaut

Looks good to me. It might be worth taking a look at Glass-holes.com's overflows (even though they are drilled type) to get an idea of flow rates versus internal box dimensions. For example, the Super Nano con Dientes Overflow I use on my 34gal Solana is 5" wide X 4.5" tall w/ 1" teeth, and is rated at 300gph (I run around 200-250gph through it). You could probably look up the stats on other manufacturers overflows, such as Eshopps and CPR aquatics, as well.

Note: my DIY overflow above was capable of ~600gph and the design was based on one by Proclear Aquatics

10. nanomania

new overflowbox dimensions

check out the pic

Attached Files: