Is My Acro Healthy?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by JupiterSailfish, Sep 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

I remember the guy at the store telling me if the coral is getting too much light it starts to turn white or if it is getting too little then it turns brown.

When I got it the coral was pretty green, now it is brown and has some white on it. I guess it is getting too much so I moved it near the bottom of the tank.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

No it's not dead. It's partially bleached.

5. reefnut1

reefnut1 Spaghetti Worm

It looks like it is on its way to death. Check all of your water parameters. I would leave it at the bottom half of the tank and leave it in there for a while, sometimes these guys make amazing comebacks.

6. JupiterSailfish

Thanks for the advice, I moved it lower so hopefully something good will happen.

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

That coral is far from dead to add to what In wall said I'd suggest that you simply set it right up under the 250 M/H lack of light will effect them like this and they can take all the lighting you can give them. The very tips showing white means growth .. get the parameters up and correct and about 8 Hrs. a day off that 250 14 K and it will come back in a month or so...Watch the water Temps also that can cause them to bleach also..even RTN will occure with high temps then they are dead.. In your case its just a bleaching issue .

8. Click Here!

9. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

im not too good with acros/diseases but ive heard of red bugs that will destroy a whole colony, but there not actually red, there yellow and some type of dog medicine is supposed to treat it...cant remember the name, inticeptor or somethin?

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

All I have ever seen where red looking in coloration and the Heart worm meds are called interceptor and its a Rx and you have to get a vet to sell it to you or give you a proscription for it..

11. JupiterSailfish

Thanks Tangster, I'll move it back up in a minute. I didn't notice a tiny orange and white crab crawling around it though. Could that affect it at all?

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Probably an acro crab (harmless) but w/o a picture, it's impossible to be sure.