Is it possible to have two wrasses in the same tank

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Puffer Chick, Nov 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

I'm getting the red velvet fairy wrasse which is known to be one of the more docile wrasses. I have room for one more fish in my tank and i was thinking about possibly another docile wrasse. The other fish are pair of clowns, firefish, and bangaii cardinal.

Do you think two wrasses could get along in a 3 foot tank?

2. Click Here!

3. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

you can but they may fight or they may not its kinda luck of the draw you might want to aire on the safe side and get a different kind of fish maybe like a dwarf angel or chromis or something

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i was thinking about the bicolor angel but their semi-aggressive and may pick at corals, i was also thinking about a small school of chromis like 3, but not sure if that would be to much

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Depends, the fairy and flasher wrasses are rather docile. I had a McCosker's Flasher wrasse, great looking fish, but it was very docile and subservient. I had it with a six line. There weren't real bully problems, but it was very docile and not very active b/c of it. After a few months it jumped, then a few months after that, my six line jumped. If you get one, I think you will encounter problems in that sized tank. Also, you will need something smaller than egg crate to keep them in.

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

the McCosker is a nice wrasse, do you think with both wrasses being docile there shouldn't be a problem? and as far as jumping, i'm not worried, i have an egg crate lid with two layers of screen door on it, one on the bottom and one on top, it's already been tested by my firefish and it worked, he's jumped a few times but hit the screen door and stopped him from getting out

7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Most wrasses are pretty docile. That red velvet won't give any problems if you want another wrasse. A mccosker's flasher is a great choice.

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i'm thinking if i add the mccosker it will be better on the bioload than 3 chromis, and i think i will have plenty of movement between both wrasse's

10. Ruby2

Ruby2 Plankton

What about adding a flasher/fairy wrasse into a 30 gallon that already houses a bimac hog?

11. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I fully agree. Plus another wrasse will be much nicer to look at, and give more movement. Chromis tend to hang out in 1 area all day.

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

I tend to get stuck with lazy fish, my puffer *in a different tank*, my firefish, and my clowns so I'm really hoping the two wrasses will finally bring movement to the tank