Is it possible to get coraline growth on the tank walls after only cycling 8 days?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Yuri Kapustin, Oct 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Yuri Kapustin

Yuri Kapustin Coral Banded Shrimp

I have had a cycling tank for 8 days now, and there is coralline growth on the side of my tank wall already by some rock. Is this possible or could it be something else?

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

its possible but i don't know how long it will last, i think it probably will die off a bit until your parameters stablize

4. Yuri Kapustin

Why is that?

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I can see that happening. It depends on how much LR you put into your tank and what your params are. My params were always really, really good.....because I put a lot of LR in there from the get go. And coraline grew. Then it didn't. Probably because the Ca, Mg and dKH numbers went down (at the time, I didn't even know they were an issue...No idea). So I would expect it to grow a bit, deplete the system and then when you do your water change at the end of your cycle, it will kick back into gear if your have the water quality back up to par.

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

when your tank is cycling there is a whole bunch of chemical and nutrient ratios that fluctuate. and tell that fluctuation stops you won't really see any explosive growth.

1 person likes this.
  7. Yuri Kapustin

That makes sense. I have quite a bit of LR in the tank. I think i was wrong earlier on how much i stated that i bought. I think i got something close to 35 pounds worth. A lot of it is bulky rock with a lot of coralline on it. The rest is tonga branch.
    The coralline is only in areas where the rock is close to the glass so it kinda makes sense.
    If my water param are good right now and stay good, how do i know if i go through a cycle? Or is it inevitable?

Thanks

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

it maybe that your rock is clean enough and had enough bacteria that it could take care of your bioload with out any need to increase. but as you add more live stock it probably will do a small cycle. the nitrate cycle isnt the only thing to watch, even if stuff like iodine test, cal test, and all the extra test kits are stable doesn't mean its cycled IMO, it means livestock will live in their but i think there is alot of untestable stuff that doesn't stablize for 6 months or so.

10. Yuri Kapustin

Okay. Thanks sostoudt.
    That makes sense. I have been watching this tank like a hawk. I even skipped a class today to hurry back and turn off my lights that had been running for too long. Thank you everyone for your help.

11. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

12. Yuri Kapustin

Holy Crap!!!!!!!!
    I wasnt watching my protien skimmer. It started overflowing from the collection can. Why is so much water being dumped into there?
    I dont think it is adjusted correctly. I am using a rio nano skimmer....