Is it possible to cure Ich w/o a QT tank?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by anpgp, Feb 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

So I just noticed the first signs of Ich on my B&W clown today, a few very tiny white spots located by the dorsal fin. It's appetite wasn't it's usual self today either. So, is there a way to cure her without the use of QT tank as I don't have one? I have corals and inverts so copper is out for use in the DT. If there is no way, what's the smallest size QT tank I could use to treat this, the clown is only about 2" max.

2. Click Here!

3. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Anyone? I want to get this treated before it gets really bad.

4. cj24

cj24 Bristle Worm

im sorta in your same shoes. from what i have read on the post i have done the general concensus is that the only way really is to QT. And obviously copper is out for your DT or any DT at that. i would go ahead and set one up it will be forever useful even if it only for new livestock.

sorry to hear about your fish

5. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I eventually plan on having a QT tank but as it is now, space is limited and I don't have room for one so what would you think is the smallest I could go and still be big enough for the fish? I only have two clowns right now.

6. Zimmy71

Zimmy71 Bristle Worm

I have a 65 gal. tank with corals and inverts and my Blue Hippo had ich (no qt tank). My lfs owner told me to feed often in small portions and soak those portions in garlic. It worked for me and hopefully it will work for u.

7. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

8. Click Here!

9. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Kick Ick is the only stuff that I know of that cures ick and does not have Cu in it. It also runs about $30for a 1l bottle.

10. Mr.Ace

Mr.Ace Flamingo Tongue

You can get away with a small, 10-20 gallon tank for a QT. I know there are some good threads on here about setting up a QT and exactly how to treat and what meds to use for the best results.

I would also start, if you haven't already, soaking your food in garlic and/or selcon to give your fish more nutrients and hopefully boost their ability to fight the disease.

11. puma

puma Flamingo Tongue

Sometimes you dont need anything for ich. I have a hippo that used to have ich and all I did was soak the food in garlic and the fish continued to eat and was fine within a couple of days. I would probably only treat the fish in a QT if it isnt eating.

12. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Garlic is used to entice fish to eat and to my knowledge has no real nutrients. It also causes liver problems if used to often.