Is it possible for a fish to be obese??

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by bbsbliss, Nov 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bbsbliss

bbsbliss Ritteri Anemone

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

yes they can get fat, but that one is just old(although alil chubby). the reason you don't see many that big is because they die before they reach that length, usually from improper water quality.

i remember reading about the biggest one i think it lives in a pond. 1'7"

4. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Hey! You should see my Lawnmower Bleny! Gosh, this boy is fat :)

5. bbsbliss

bbsbliss Ritteri Anemone

That's a good blenny then, eating all that algae!

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Often times fish are fed too much as an act of kindness, I guess! Lionfish and grouper are especially susceptible to this as they are continuously fed goldfish and other foodstuff that is either inappropriate or fed way to much as if they eat it they must be still hungry attitude!!!!
    Less is better...with small amounts periodically throughout the day being optimal that best replicates the fish in the wild!

7. phal.repth

phal.repth Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I once had an Iridescent shark that would gobble up SO much of the bloodworm I gave to the tank, that his belly would bulge! I had one of the feeding cones and he would stick to it like a pleco on an algae wafer!

RIP, Kisame...

_chi_

8. Click Here!

9. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

i hear that my blenny almost lays on his belly instead of this fins....fat boy;D

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

A goldfish is simply a carp and they get rather large up wards of 30" in the wild and up wards of 40 lbs , As for water quality they live in a toilet can be frozen and revived even They can live outside in a shallow pond yr round . The reason most never get that large and mind you 15" is not that large for a carp. But they are crowded in a small space and they have to fight to feed where this one was most likely kept alone in a private tank and then it grew to that space of the tank allowed fish seldom out grow their space . Koi are gold fish :) and they get to 15" easily in larger ponds but crowed them up and they go Bonsai and stay stunted in growth rates !

11. Perculator

Perculator Feather Duster

I wonder how she will flush it down the toilet when it dies. Unless she dies first, she is 83.

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'd put my money on the carp :) at 15 yrs its just getting started . But a comet I have heard of them getting up wards of 20 to 25 yrs plus from some old pond owners I know..Not sure I'd want that type of commitment with a damn fish :) Nasty fish just a common green Asian carp was the base of the breed