is it okay to get more fish?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by sterling, Apr 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sterling

sterling Peppermint Shrimp

Well, three weeks ago i got an outbreak of either ich or white velvet. Within 5 days i had lost 7 of my 9 fish. There were only two survivors being a watchman goby and a banggai cardinal. It has been two weeks since the last fish died and im not entirely sure what i lost the fish to, but leaning more towards white velvet. All corals and inverts are fine and two fish are doing great. Parameters are in check as well.
    What can i do to ensure that my tank is free of disease; i cant copper treat it or what not?
    How long must i wait before i put in another fish?

2. Click Here!

3. Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Whisky Tango Foxtrot Skunk Shrimp

You don't ever want too med your DT... Just make sure the next time you add Livestock, that you go slow... 1 fish every couple weeks, and quarantine if needed... You dont want to overload your tanks Bio load

4. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

You help with the parasite infestations, you could add a uv steriliser...?

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

what size tank is this? 9 fish is a lot.

ich's "cause" is often stress... depending on how big your tank is, 9 fish might have just been too stressful making them susceptible.

6. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

It takes a good 6 weeks to be sure that the ick eggs are no longer in the tank. I'd wait 8 weeks to be on the safe side.

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I understand ich to always be in all tanks. It's a matter of having your fish strong enough (good diet, low stress, etc.) to avoid ich taking hold on that fish.

At a minimum, that's how I approach the issue in my own tank.