Is it ok to have coral while fighitng GHA

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Puffer Chick, Nov 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok so i'm realllllyyyy wanting to get my first coral like really soon. I've been itching to get one and might even bring one home tomorrow if i go to the lfs to look for an emerald crab. My problem is i've been batteling GHA for a week or two now and it's spreading. It's pretty short and not very long. I'm wanting to get a coral so bad like some zoas or polyps. How bad is it to have corals while batteling GHA? Would it be ok to glue the frag over a small patch of GHA?

What are your opinons, i just really want some coral.

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I would wait. If the GHA starts to grow over a coral, it will kill the coral. Only exception would be maybe an LPS. But also, an algae outbreak is a sign of slipping water parameters, another thing to think of when considering coral.

4. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Only bad things happen fast in this hobby. I would vote for patience with Pack. :)

Like he said, it can cause problems with coral and it in general may make it harder to do really agressive GHA cleaning if it comes down to it because you will have more stuff in the tank to worry about. I would take care of the problem first and then move on to corals. I know it's hard to wait!

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

I do have some nitrates that have been going down, ammonia and nitrite are 0 and all fish and inverts have been doing fine, haven't lost anything. Tank is 3 months old, been using ro/di, stong protein skimmer, minimal light usuage brand new bulbs, not overfeeding.

I would just really like to get some coral because i've been waiting so long, but i hate how the GHA is making me wait

6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

hmm have you tested for phosphates?.. i know you have been using ro/di but i cant think of anything else that causes algae.

7. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

i agree with others wait. try sucking out and throwing away the gha while you improve water quality. really helped with my battle. took a turkey baster an syphoned as much gha as possible with consistent water changes and its all gone. never came back.

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

don't have a phosphate test, but i'm sure i have some

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

been doing 5 gall water changes once a week, i just got a turkey baster so i'll try that idea

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

These things happen at first. Every tank will go through cycles as it ages. You're just at the GHA phase is all ;) Just keep your clowns in there happy, work on getting the nitrates down to zero, and let the clean up crew do its job. The algae will be gone before you know it.
    And remember, we don't exaggerate when we say PATIENCE and GO SLOW :) The slower you go, the happier you will be in the end.

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i know paitence, which was waiting 10 weeks to add fish, that was torture