is it neccisarry to use acrylic rods, and epoxy??

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by CMC53, Mar 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CMC53

CMC53 Astrea Snail

I'm getting 200 lbs of real reef rock, and was considering to drill in to the rock, slide a rod through, and expoxy (Rockscaping). I was talking to the owner of my LFS and he said that, that is not necisarry to do as the rock should stay in place with no problem once you stack them.. So should I go the extra yard, and drill the rock or just leave it alone?? :confused: Any opions on this?

2. Click Here!

3. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Stacked rock will mostly stay in place once stacked (but can get really frustrating when it comes loose), however there is a pretty small range of shapes you can give a pile of rock. The drilling, rods, etc. have the advantage of letting you build interesting structures with your rock.

I actually went another route and just purchased two large rocks of the shape and size I wanted. No coming loose there!

4. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

I skipped the drilling and put a small piece of underwater epoxy between rocks that weren't real stable. Like Servillius said, this allows you to get some more unique shapes/slopes. I laid everything out on the floor dry and built what I wanted. Then, I used a piece of epoxy between the pieces that were unstable. I then built it up in the tank two pieces at a time.

Also, when laying out your scape, the challenge is to get the shape you want while keeping rock in contact with the sand at a minimum. You'll get better water movement and less detritous that way. I think the epoxy was a big help with that.

This stuff holds the rocks together nicely, but it doesn't bond so hard that it can't be pulled apart.

HoldFast Epoxy Stick

Here's my build thread if you want to see it. For example, the two piece "island" in the front has a small chunk of epoxy holding the top rock in place.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/150-gal-build-stalled-cycle-130550.html

Hope this helps. Good luck with the scape!

5. CMC53

CMC53 Astrea Snail

Thanks guys! I think I'm going to just use the epoxy, and not deal with the drilling.. I would hate to have to keep sticking my hand inside of the tank to fix rocks. lol.

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I always just stack and never drill and glue. There's nothing wrong with either method, just I like to change things up from time to time. Remember when you glue, that's just about it without major work and hassle, so make sure you REALLY like the job you did. ;)

7. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

if you rod them that just increases the possibilities of what you can do with your imagination, you could do a really awesome minimalist aquascape with acrylic rods. also if you have larger more rambunctious fish like eels you really need rods in the rock.

8. Click Here!

9. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

+1 on making sure you like it if you glue.

I built mine on the basement floor at least 10 different times before I got what I liked.

10. CMC53

CMC53 Astrea Snail

Good point. I do plan on getting an Eel and I will have a large predator tank. So I'm guessing I probably should rod the rocks..

Does anyone have any good video's of adding rods to create a unique rockscape?

11. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

its fairly easy, set up your rocks how you want. and keep in mind all the places where they come into contact, maybe mark them some way. then take a drill and drill a hole approximately the same size around as the acrylic rod, then simply insert it in with a little drop of aquarium safe epoxy.

12. CMC53

CMC53 Astrea Snail

Thanks! Sounds easy enough..