Is it ick?? Please help!

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by juliew, Nov 16, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. juliew

juliew Coral Banded Shrimp

I quarantined my coral beauty for about 2 1/2 weeks. He was doing okay, mostly hiding in the rocks, and he was eating. I did not use lighting in the QT, but there is ambient light from the room.

Today, I put him in the DT & after about an hour, the MH came on. It was then I noticed that he had very small, but many white spots on him. It looks more like powder than anything else. His behavior is fine - he's acting a lot better than he was in the QT, and he is eating. I don't know if he had it all along & I just didn't see it, or if it popped up after I put him in the DT. I also noticed the fire shrimp cleaning him.

I want to put him back in the QT, but it's almost impossible to catch him since he hangs around the rock.

Do you think he has ick or velvet? If so, what can I do if I can't catch him?

If it makes any difference, the only other fish in the tank are 2 clowns.

Thanks!
    juie

2. Click Here!

3. ianaco70

ianaco70 Bristle Worm

Ich will look like salt was sprinkled over the fish and you will see him rubbing against rocks. To catch my fish I usually feed them with the net and when they come to get food I swoop them up. If you cant get him out and it is ich I suggest you raise the temp some.

4. juliew

juliew Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks ianaco70 -

That's a good idea about feeding him with the net - I'll try that.

julie

5. mastamind360

mastamind360 Astrea Snail

raise the temp to 82. lower the salt content to 1.016 and treat with kick ich and rally reaf (both are reaf safe and can be used together). im having the same problem myself and its workin for me.

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

If you do this, and it is a good idea, do it slowly. The general rule of thumb is to decrease you SG by no more than .002 or raise by no more than .001 per 24 hours. Be careful with the temperature also....82 degrees is approaching maximum. Keep it this way for a month. Then slowly increase your SG to where it was before. It is a very good Ich treatment.