Is it Crypto (Marine ich) or Lymphocystis

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Duke594, Mar 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Duke594

Duke594 Plankton

I have had my Saltwater tank up and running for about 10 months. After 2 months of cycling I added the first fish. I didnt quarantine these fish. I was new to marine fish and didnt know any better. One of the had ich and it killed both of them. I bought some reef safe ich treatment and followed the directions on it. Then we decided to buy more fish. Again they got ich (except 2 percula clownfish) even after 4 weeks of quarantine, within days of being put in the display tank. So then I read everything availiable about marine ick. I removed the 2 percula clownfish which did not show any signs of ich and qaurantine them with copper for 6 weeks and then 2 weeks with no copper for a total of 8 weeks. The tank only had a cleaner shrimp, horshoe crab and a turbo snail. Nothing was added during this 8 weeks to try and finally kill off the marine ich. About 9 weeks ago i placed the 2 clownfish back in the display tank. After being in the display tank for 2 weeks they looked fine, so I bought a black and white Heniochus. When I bought it, it had Lymphocystis (the lfs store told me what it was and they had had the fish for about a week and it was eating fine. They told me it was a virus and it would disappear after a week or so). They were big white cottony looking spot on its dorsal fin. After the trouble with ich, I now have a permenant qaurantine tank. I brought the fish home and after a week in the qt it had no Lymphocystis visible. I left the fish in the quarantine tank for another 6 weeks. The fish was looking healthy no white spots and active and eating well. I moved it to the display tank about 4 days ago. Now there are some white spots showing up on the dorsal fine again. I have read that Lymphocystis can reappear on a fish especially after moving it because of the stress. Is this true or could it some how be ich again. My water parameters are as follows, ph 8.3 - 8.4, sg 1.024, no nitrites, no ammonia, nitrate 40ppm( I know it is a little high), Alkalinity about 3 meq/l. It is a FOWLR tank 40 gallons. I will try to get a picture of the fish tonight a little hard the guy is fast. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

The other fish you speak of... it wasn't lympho if it went away in a week.

I'm guessing you're dealing wih Ich.

My seahorses had it for a couple of years. After a 3 month hypo it disappeared (I was not primarily treating them for lympho, it was a side bonus).

4. Duke594

Duke594 Plankton

It is Ich

I had to move all my fish back to qt. Hopefully After another 8 weeks in the qt my dt will be good to go. I am medicating the fish now. From now on I am going to treat every fish for ich. Hopefully I can finally get rid of this once and for all. Thnaks for the reply.