Is it algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by LPCHPC, Mar 1, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LPCHPC

LPCHPC Plankton

First let me give you some background on the tank. 100g, 110LR, 2x Seio 620(600gph), 2x Maxi 1200, Remora Pro w/mag 3

I just started curing the rock in the tank 9 days ago. Some rocks were farther along than others when I put them in. There is no substrate in the tank(makes for easier siphoning of dying debris from the rocks) and no other life besides that which resides on the rock. I have seen a large ammmonia spike as well as nitrites and nitrates rising. I did my orginal fill with tap water and have been using tap for water for changes and top off(will continue to do so untill I see a noticeable drop in ammonia nitrite nitrate, then swith to RO/DI). I have changed over the past nine days approx. 120 gallons of water with aged mixed saltwater using Tropic Marine salt. Yesterday whe I returned from work I found the majority of the rock and floor of the tank covered in a brown algae with small air bubbles clung all over that. I was aware that during a cycle the tank will also experience a algae outbreak, but I thought it was of the green hair algae type. Is this normal? If it is, is there anything I can do to combat this or should I just keep on with what I am currently doing? Also, when would be a good time to add the substrate?

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That is normal - the algae bloom or diatoms can be red, green or brown typically. (look for diatom threads or the 'algae during cycling' at the top of the board.)

The tap water may be fueling this algae a bit more than ro/di... I'd personally just go to ro/di, but it may not make that much difference, just my choice.

Anyway, I'd ride out the bloom mostly before adding the substrate - I assume you are doing it this way so that your sand doesn't get too fouled up from the curing rocks.

Good luck!

matt

4. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

Do you have the lights on? :eek: