Is Chemistry my problem?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by suzique, Oct 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. suzique

suzique Flamingo Tongue

I figured it was about my turn to develope a few problems:(, since many that started their tanks the same time I did in June are. I'll start with my params:
    Salinity 34 Spg. 1.025 Nitrite .50 Nitrate 0 Amn. 0 DKH 8.4 KH 107.4 Calcium 480 Phos. 0 Mag. ? no test kit:-[
    Tank started showing signs about 4 days ago. Toadstool stopped ? blooming? BTA moved and is hanging like a limp skirt and barely attached. Cucumber has been on glass. Some of my fish only come out to eat. And my Nitrite is elevated. Usually reads 0. I don't want to loose anything:cry: so what should I do??????? HELP

Sue

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

On important notes, start running carbon ASAP if not doing so, and keep a close eye on the cucumber and anemone. If either of those two die in the tank, it would be absolutely disasterous. .5ppm nitrites would be the least of your concern.

4. suzique

suzique Flamingo Tongue

Thanks packleader. Will get some tomorrow.
    Sue

5. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

how often do you do water changes? do you use ro water?

6. suzique

suzique Flamingo Tongue

partial water changes once every week or 10 days. And I have a Typhoon III. I did just change to kent salt.

Sue

7. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

how many gallons do you usually change out? The reason i am asking is because with a "noname" skimmer you probably should be doing more water changes to compensate for the lack of filtration.JMO

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

You might even hold back on water changes, give the cycle time to catch up. Have you added anything recently? A lot of times nitrites alone will spike from adding things like base rock, empty shells for your hemits, etc...

10. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

your kh is too low. i am assuming that your reading is in ppm? and with the tank only being a few months old, it may be too soon for an anenome. as for the toadstool i wouldnt be to concerned. its the anenome and cuc that will cause you alot of grief if they perish. get some good test kits. salifert are the kits i use. dont let the syringes sway/overwelm you.

11. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

salinity it's kind of high! the dkhº is low, and the nitrates on .05 it's no biggie, if you don't have a Mg. test you need to get one asap, if you are to keep corals, or make wc's more often, the mg. tends to go down faster than anything else if you have any coralline, by the time I got my test kit for mg. it was as low as 1200ppm and that is unacceptable!

12. suzique

suzique Flamingo Tongue

Usually around 6-8 gal. My skimmer works very well, it was made by my LFS manager. My water is always clear, this is the first time my params have been an issue. I guess I jumped the gun on the bubble tip. I have not had any losses so far:-/, and want to keep my tank healthy. I should have mentioned also that I am having more evaporation the last few weeks, and it's about 20-30 degrees cooler! What's up with that?

Thank you all,
    Sue