Is ASM now Octopus / Skimmer recomendations

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by fishflyer, Oct 10, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishflyer

fishflyer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

The ASM website now directs you to another web that sells Octopus skimmers. Are these the same skimmers? Price looks nice.

I will be building a 26gal aga bowfront with a 45gal sump/fuge and need a new skimmer as my old one is out-o-commish. Any suggestions:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

They not the same skimmer as ASM, the Octo's are built better and their cheaper. Maybe ASMskimmer just read the writing on the wall.
    ASM Skimmer products, information and services

I own the Recirc 200 and couldn't be happier with it. For 71 gallon of water I would go with the 150 or the Recirc 110 if you can swing it.

The recirc are better but for the price they offer the non-recirc in you can buy a large one that would out compete the smaller recirc. The recirc can be used externally out of the box if that matters to you.

Da colts has the 200 and he was quite impressed with it as well.

1 person likes this.
  4. fishflyer

Thanks Covey
    I have always wanted a recirc skimmer. Its nice to finally have a affordable option. However the straight 150 has a higher gal. rating and would only use one pump. Not sure if I want to go external or not. I also PM Da Colts after finding his review.

5. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Heres some pics of mine.
    [​IMG]
    bubble size
    [​IMG]
    shaving cream
    [​IMG]
    some cup splatter
    [​IMG]
    I generally skim wet but here what i got in 18 hours one time. Still is farely dark for wet skim.
    [​IMG]

You can and should plumb the reciric with water straight off the overflow. It gets rid of the extra pump and supplies better quality feed water.

6. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

Covey how does the water from the skimmer get forced out? If you are suppling the skimmer with water from your over flow and say your skimmer clogs (heaven forbid) your return pump will over flow your tank. Did you split the line from the overflow allowing only so much water into your skimmer?

I have the G3 which i might put the reciric and gate mod on. Any suggestions Not trying to steal thread sorry! PM me please.

7. fishflyer

Actually after sleeping on it I think an external instillation might be better suited for my DIY stand still in drawing stages.

So the recirc is sounding better, plus it just looks cool ;D and you can see the ever mesmerizing bubbles better that help me zone out and ponder how to fix the worlds problems :uneasy: .

So Covey if you have not already PM 90_Berlin "What he said"
    One less pump would be sweet.

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

My 150 has two overflows so it pretty easy to get around that. One of my 1" drain can handle the flow so my set up is safe.

Berlin Joe you have a AGA with a Mega Flow so you could plumb the 3/4" line to the skimmer and run the 1" line as the main drain.

Even if your tank only has one hole drilled in it. You can still safely plumb the recirc. It just involve plumbing in a section of pipe to create a "bubble-free pool of water" then teeing off above it as a safety measure.

I can get more into detail if you want to.

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

BTW I believe ASM Skimmers didn't like that asmskimmers.com were representing them and people thought the website were the manufacture. They were not. They started doing MODS and talking about improving the skimmer. ASM didn't like this

J

11. geoxman

geoxman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

"BTW I believe ASM Skimmers didn't like that asmskimmers.com were representing them and people thought the website were the manufacture. They were not. They started doing MODS and talking about improving the skimmer. ASM didn't like this"

I spoke with the owner of asmskimmer.com trying to get a part and he told me that ASM tried to enforce a suggested retail price and they would not comply so ASM cut them off.
    If it were my business I would have sued and put them out of business or owned ASM, but that is just me! Price fixing is against the law.
    I have owned numerous ASM skimmers as well as 2 Octopus skimmers and the octopus skimmer is better quality and cheaper. Good luck!

12. CharAznable

CharAznable Plankton

Plumbing from the Overflows

From looking at the pictures it appears that you teed off the Overflow. Is that correct. Do you have more pictures of how you did it? I am trying to find the best way to plumb an Octopus Recirc 200 and this seems like the most logical solution. Any help in learning the best way to plumb it would be appreciated.