Is anybody out there?

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by karlas, Aug 9, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

hey ginny nice tank i was lookin at the pics i love the lighting

i now have a 10 gallon fresh water tank. a friend got the kids hamsters and said NO MORE FISH so she gave me the whole 10 gallon set up for free. tank lights hood filters gravel. so my beta has a new home along with some pineapple swords and a female beta and the goldfish

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  2. Click Here!

3. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Pcola and Ginny,
    The solution to problems with hard water is to use filtered water, just like the saltwater folks do. I ran some numbers, and a reverse osmosis (RO) system is only worth the money for tanks larger than 40 gallons. Otherwise, buy filtered RO water from Wal-Mart.

1 person likes this.
  4. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Saw this thread but never clicked on it....until now.

I had so many FW tank in the past. I first started w/ 10, then 29, then 40, then 75, and 125 gal. I kept tropical fishes like neons and other fishes and breeding guppies w/ the the 10 for a while. Then a 29 for cichlids. After that, I had a arowana in a 40...he got too big so I bought a 75 for him and he outgrew that in like 3 months. That's when I bought the 125 gal, I kept him w/ some cichlids, bala sharks, irridesent shark, and a crayfish.

I had the arowana for a long while, until he jumped out. He forced through the 3 piece 2x4 i put on top of the acrylic top. He was over 2' long. May he rest in peace...:'(

I now have cichlids in the 75 and saltwater in the 125. the 29 became the fuge, 10 is the QT, and the 40 is in the garage waiting to be reseal.
    I will try to find some pic and post them later.

Freshwater still RULES!!! :)

5. Inimicus

Inimicus Astrea Snail

I'm a FW person with a small and soon to be growing SW section.

At the moment i have the follow (this will take awhile)

60 gallon, sand bottom with driftwood, with 1african feather fin knife fish, two fire mouth cichlids, 1 ompok bimaculatus catfish, 1 female black lancer catfish (lost my males to a buggy heater :( ), and 1 clown loach who's going to have friend soon.

1 35 gallon acrylic with 2 albino asian knives (notopterus species), 1 aluminium catfish, and a odd little pacu.

1 35 acrylic with assorted female convicts and one very busy male

10 gallon Q tank with a clown knife, aluminium cat, and a bumblebee catfish and some little fish i cant ID yet

29 gallon with a 16 inch Protopterus dolli (slender lungfish) laziest lungfish i have

29 gallon with 1 humpback puffer name Fred :D

10 gallon with a recovering african feather fin knife and four baby albino polypterus

75 gallon with 1 midas cichlid, 1 jaguar cichlid, 5 red hook silver dollar, 2 pelteobagrus catfish, one Rita catfish, 1 one eyes channel catfish and four convicts.

10 gallon with assorted snails

50 gallon stock tank holding my big Protopterus annectens while his tank cycles

75 gallon with my australian lungfish (my pride and joy), my T gar and my big clown knife

10 gallon with a small Protopterus annectens

2.5 with a tiny Protopterus annectens

55 brackish water with three green spotted puffers and two ceylon puffers (they'll get an upgrade in about five weeks to a bigger tank i hope), oh yeah my freshwater lion fish (actually brackish to marine toad fish)

18 gallon with my small electric catfish in it

10 gallon with two small Takifugu puffers growing out (slowly)

6 gallon planted tank with neons

and my only SW tank at the moment:

my 35 gallon with an Inimicus species of sea goblin (working out exact ID)

In hind sight this is way too many tanks for this apartment but i'll be trying to move some fish to new homes soon. I will be moving and i dont relish movnig all these tanks AGAIN even if its only ten minutes away its still hours of work lol. Oh well the price one pays when one is addicted.

Be well be safe and be happy.

jason

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  6. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

All I have is a 10 gallon fw tank with breeding guppies in it. Used to have a bunch of fw back in the day though.

7. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

I guess I am more FW than SW, but just by 10 gallons:

10 gal SW Reef
    20 gal SW Reef - keeping it for my son, who's away
    30 gal FW with Central American ciclids (Cryptoheros sajica - T-Bar Cichlid) who breed like rabbits
    10 gal FW hospital/resort (where I moved the Tetras when the sajicas tried to kill them for getting close to their fry)

8. Click Here!

9. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I turned to saltwater and never looked back.

10. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

We recently started a 20g planted tank with 2 Blue Rams, small Clown Loach, 2 Otocinclus catsfish, 2 Kuli Loaches, Betta, 5 Cardinals, Threadfin Rainbow fish and an African frog along with a few algae eating FW shrimp. It's my son's tank and he's already talking about getting a bigger tank and keeping Discus. That's all I need, is another tank to have to do bi monthly water changes on!
    We are using flourite gravel and driftwood with a CO2 diffuser. Its great because the tank stays at a constant pH of 6.3 without having to buffer it during water changes. The plants really have done well too.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Sounds like a nice setup Raven.
    Nice to see this thread still going...

OMG Jason. That is the understatement of the year! ;D :eek: :eek:

I can't believe you have that many tanks going... and I ***** about having 3! ::)

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

No kidding huh?! I lived in apartments for almost 10 years before buying my home and I can't believe that his floor can support all that water! :)