Is aluminum safe in saltwater?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by serotonin, Jul 24, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

I made the DIY PVC overflow and I don't have any cover over the hole. I saw home depot had an aluminum gutter cover that would fix my problem perfectly. I don't know that Aluminum is safe however. Please advise, thanks ! :)

PS: Today is the second day Ive had a turbo go down the tubes ARGH***** :) I'm currently making a plexi box style overflow. So the aluminum gutter gard woudl be a temp fix. The plexi oveflow is also a temp fix till I move and drill this dang tank like I should have when i bought it (grrrrrrr!)

2. Click Here!

3. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I dont remember who it was, but someone on 3reef mentioned that aluminum is no good for saltwater. Not safe.

4. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Aluminum isn't saltwater safe and would end up being toxic to inverts. Check Home Depot they have plastic gutter guard.

You could also consider using the lighting egg crate or make a pvc strainer like I did.

5. serotonin

Where could I find lighting egg crate, home depot again? I searched the local one's gutter dpt for 15mins, all they had was aluminum stuff (sad face)

6. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Home depot carries egg crate sheets.

7. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

My local HD does not have it in the lighting area (which would make sense) but in the ceiling tile area where the drop ceiling tiles are (I guess that makes sense too). :)

Mike

8. Click Here!

9. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Same for Menards. It took me a whle to find it. (I had to ask for directions... ;) )

BTW, while Al doesn't rust like Iron it corrodes through electrolysis. It acts as an anode. With all the electricity in the tank, odds are it will corrode like mad.

10. serotonin

I see, so its normal oxidation coating has no effect? I would guess that gutter gard type suff is galvanized aluminum which complicates it even further.

Solution: Plastic! :)

11. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

put a thin filter pad like a PURA pad or something thinner like red hair algae filter pad.

12. serotonin

Well I stared at that stinkin hole for a good time, watching my anemone. Then it struck me. DORK!!! Put a piece of your daughter's deceased birds nest coral over the top of it. Shazam! that and a rubber band and were set baby!

(lol)