Is 30 gal too small for a newbie?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Travis, Feb 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I would say a 30 gallon is a fine tank to break in on, if that is all your budget allows for.

But like posted above, do much study and be prepared for some intense maintenance.

Errors can become very expensive very fast with a smaller tank.

Let us know how goes and what you decide to come up with.

All here will be glad to help and try to keep you out of trouble.

Good Luck!

2. Click Here!

3. JasonSquared

JasonSquared Spaghetti Worm

I say convert the 125 right now, and you'll be alot happier! IT will be easier, but the downside it WAY more expense. A 30 gallon will be fine, but like what others have posted, less than ideal form many reasons.

4. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

if you decide to try it out and then upgrade make sure its a tank that you can make into a sump for the larger one.i still have my last reef tank.its set up as a 29 gallon sump under my 55 gallon reef.the pc fixture makes the chaetto in the sump grow very fast.i just run the daylight side and keep the actinics off.

5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Get what you can afford. Whether its a 5.5 or a 120... My first salty was a 12 and now a 5.5gal... Own the tank, don't let it own you.....

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I really cant add to much more than what was already said(too many smart ppl) but I will tell you if you start small, most oftenly, you up grade later and up grade again and again. Its a vicious cycle:hehe:. If your budget/wife :hehe: allows, I would try to get at least a 55gal. Luna

7. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

What are you trying to say Luna. I DO WHAT I WANT WHEN I WANT, as long as my wife says its ok...LMAO

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

LMAO, you got it sherlock!;D But we all have the last word, " yessss dear " lol

1 person likes this.
  10. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

How true you are!!!!! Hmmmm, she didn't laugh when I showed her our posts...O'well, I was cracking up.....

11. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

my 2 pennies... I'm a newbie also so i'm not even trying to give advice;) but I have started with a 55 and love it so far...first life was only about 5 weeks ago. I got the tank from a buddy who started saltwater with it (now he has a 180). he had no problems and was pretty much on his own. i have 2 buddies helping me closely so i'm not scurred. but as far as the costs you were worried about when upgrading... my 55 w/ stand, canopy, filter, halogen lights, skimmer, 2 powerheads and moonlight were $230(got and awesome deal... new price is around $1500). with that, 40 lbs. live sand, 20 lbs. base sand, 43 lbs. liverock, bucket o' salt, 2 clowns & 2 damsels, I got about $600 in it total. as it sits now with that money, it is pretty much 4 fish 3 rocks and some sand, pretty boring but I'm taking it slow like every newbie should. hope I helped out some... good kharma & luck to you!

12. Travis

Travis Astrea Snail

I feel like I am already off to a bad start. I didn't know if maybe something I have or something that I did is going to kill everything I put in the tank. I will try two more clowns and if they die I think I will hang it up. I hate thinking I did everything right but yet I still failed. Is there a hardier fish I can add for a few weeks to see if things are ok?