Unresolved Irritated anemone

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by lpd154, Apr 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lpd154

lpd154 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ok, so this is the problem. I have a bta that has found a home for it's foot in a hole in my live rock, but my feather duster was already using this same same hole for its home. Everything started off good both seemed happy but in the last week the nem has been showing signs of stress. Half of the nem has not inflated at all this week and today nothing inflated. It's also not eating.

So I guess the question for us to toss about is, can the bottom portion of the feather dusters tube irritate the nem or could there be some chemical warfare at play.

Also let's figure out the best way to get the foot out of this hole if I need to try and move it.

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I imagine anything can bother an anemone.

I would try moving the duster somewhere else, as they're much less sensitive than a anemone to moves.

4. lpd154

lpd154 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So what would you suggest is the best way to move the feather duster. It's is firmly attached to the rock and most of the attached tube is under the nem's foot....

Nothing is ever easy for me :-(

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Well, I'm really not sure how you'd get at it, to be honest. If there's another way into the hole, I'd go with that. If not, I don't know quite how deep the duster is. The end of a duster can be detached from the rock, but you don't want to pull its actual tube.

If you have any opening at all you can work with, you can try, very slowly, kinda pushing the anemone's foot off of the rock slowly. I mean very, very slowly, as the foot is pretty easy to damage. The only time I had to take an anemone off a rock took about 1/2 hour to get it off.

Once you have the anemone in one hand you can pull off the bottom of the duster's tube with the other, then put the anemone back into the hole so it doesn't go wandering for a new spot.