io rc salinity?

Discussion in 'Salt' started by wesley p, Aug 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wesley p

wesley p Flamingo Tongue

What should I keep the salinity at 1.025 or 1.026 with the reef crystals?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Either is fine. I usually go for 1.025 in my change water since my salinity seems to creep up a bit with dosing.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

For a reef tank, I think either is fine as long as you keep it consistently the same. If you don't have an ATO, then I would go on the lower end for when evaporation will raise your salinity. Otherwise, chose one and maintain that :)

5. wesley p

wesley p Flamingo Tongue

When mixing the io rc salt how much salt does it take to get 1.025 for 5 gallons of ro/di water? I have a hydrometer and just want to make sure its correct. I read a forum that said 3 cups for 5 gallons. I did that and my hydrometer said 1.028.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Are you heating the water?Temperature will effect salinity so I would be sure the temp. of your new water is the same as the DT.;)

7. wesley p

wesley p Flamingo Tongue

heated the water to 78 like my dt then checked it. I got 1.028 with three cups of salt with 5 gallons ro/di water but I need to make sure the hydrometer is off.Im looking to get 1.025.

8. Click Here!

9. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Then you need to add small amounts of top off water to the bucket slowly to bring it down to where you want it.

Also,look into a refractometer,they are much more precise than hydrometers and will compensate for different temperatures.I have like 3 or 4 hydrometers that are pretty close for "quick spot checking" but I clean with vinegar often and back up thier readings with my refracto.Many hydrometers can be inaccurate right out of the package and without a refractometer,you have no way of knowing.

1 person likes this.
  10. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

It is 1/2c per gallon so it's 2.5 cups per 5 gal bucket, not 3. That's why you're salinity is a bit high.

11. wesley p

wesley p Flamingo Tongue

fatbastad the side of the io rc bucket says that 2 and a half cups will give you 1.021 and thats not what i am looking for. I need 1.025. Have you checked it at 2 and a half cups to see if its 1.025? Please let me know.

Thanks