IO milk

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Land_Fish, May 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

OK I started a mix this morning with IO salt and it mixed clear in 10 minutes. I came back to see how it was doing and hour later and it was milky looking.
    Had to do some shopping and got home and it was still milky looking. I tested the IO mix in the tub and came out scratching my head.
    Cal= 360
    alk= 11.2
    pH 8.9
    Any thoughts on what caused this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [hr]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

You know a lot more about this than I do, but it looks like your water itself may be different 'cause that is some sort of chemical reaction. Are those readings typical for your treated water?

4. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I found this on wetwebmedia...
    I don't know if it helps but here is the thread http://www.wetwebmedia.com/watrqmarfaq3.htm

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

All normal reading except the pH which was 8.9. I have heard of IO doing this but those had a high alk reading and this batch did not.

6. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I also read someplace about mixing in the chem additives completely before mixing in the salt. Something about the salt clumping or forming a sort of skum on the bucket, which certainly looks like what your pump has on it, if the chems are added before the salt was allowed to dissolve completely.

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I did not add anything to this mix. pure RO/DI water and IO salt in a clean container.

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

This is still making me wonder what happened... maybe the wife dropped something in the tub when walking around the house, or maybe one of the cats jump in the tub... :D who knows.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Instant Ocean has a rep for not mixing well sometimes. Not sure if it's batch to batch - (quality control issues?) - or what. But that was one of the reasons I don't use it any more.

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Yes I read all about it over at RC but they all had really high ALK readings.

12. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I won't be doing this..but isn't there a problem blending different salt mixes together..or is that just another Big Fish Tale. In other words can you switch salt mixes when you have been using one particular brand?