Invert Bio-load

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Grog, Jul 2, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Grog

Grog Astrea Snail

What kind of a bio-load do inverts impact? I have 4 hermits (from blue knuckle to blue leg), 1 Emerald Crab and a Tuxedo Urchin. Then later I might get 2 skunk cleaner shrimp.

I would guess pods fall into this group too?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Unless it's an actual invertebrate you're target feeding like Anemones, Mantis....rather than an invert that cleans up remaining food items then I do not really count their bio-load as being substantial. Of the ones you listed in your post, their ability to utilize uneaten food and detritus out weighs any concern over what impact they have on bio-load in my tank.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    Mr. Bill likes this.
  4. Mikeyb

Mikeyb Bristle Worm

While on the subject, how may Hermits/Snails/Emerald Crabs, would you recommend for an 80 gallon tank?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I tend to go lighter on #'s for newer set ups. I like Ceirth, Astraea and small hermits types. I like Turbos too but they get too large for my needs. I would probably go with 15/15 on the two snail types I suggested and 10 Turbos. Fifteen small hermit types. If I saw algae issues taking hold than I would add to that.

Reef Cleaners offers excellent packages with a lot of cuc members, but for me that is too many. A lot eventually starve in my tanks.
    Livequaria also offers custom packages as well. But I stay away from Nassarius, Brittle Stars, Mexican Turbos, Margarita, Shrimp and crabs other than small hermits.

What works for me may not be applicable to other tanks with higher bio-loads, and much larger tanks. I tend to have modest cuc, just enough to get the job done with some fine tuning.