internal parasites in koi and goldfish

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by verboten53, May 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. verboten53

verboten53 Plankton

Hello,

My fish seem to be dying one at a time. Water chemistry is not the problem. No visible signs except fish sit on bottom too long, clamped fins then appear to slowly waste away and die. Tried using Prazipro for suspected internal parasites this past weekend. Will look for improvement. Also did water change of 30% and removed charcoal filter and sponge filter. Have 6 koi and 3 goldfish in 55 gallon tank. It seems like the disease is attacking one fish at a time slowly killing them over a few months.

Would appreciate any advice.

Thank you!

2. Click Here!

3. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

What do their feces look like?
    Are they emaciated or bloated?
    Metronidazole could be another decent remedy to try

Good luck!

4. verboten53

verboten53 Plankton

Thanks for reply Dr. Not sure about feces. Will need to observe that. The large goldfish sits on the bottom most of the time fins are clamped. Will eat sometimes. Otherwise he seems a bit bloated but not too badly. Should I separate him? treat whole tank? Other Koi are flashing sometimes. Sounds like another problem? The goldfish was recently added. Not quarantined first. Not my idea to do that. Will try Metronidazole but I see it is quite expensive. Hope it works. Any advice on the flashing issue? Thanks for your help!

5. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

Koi fish and Gold fish should not share the same tank. You may have over loaded your tank when you put the gold fish in there. I have a huge koi pond out back and that is what got me into salt.
    I have a friend who is a doctor... yes he went to school to be a doctor of fish. He is the only licensed doctor for imported fish in Florida. You have to call him to make sure your fish don't carry diseases into America. He always always always told me never mix the two because gold fish carry so many diseases. They expell differently and can intoxicate koi. I will try to leave him a message and ask about your "clamped" syndrome and see if I can help you soon. I would first quarentine the gold in one and the koi in the 55, do another 20-25 gallon water change 5 at a time every 5-10 minutes and yes "when you medicate"... remove your carbon.
    I will PM you soon as he gets back to me.

6. Optimist

If you are using tap water, scratch that because you will intoxicate them with the chlorine in the water and the stress alone will kill them.

7. Optimist

Q: My fish are listless and just sit on the bottom of the tank or Koi pond.
    A: Try checking the water temperature first. If the weather has changed and it is cold outside, or your heater is malfunctioning... this could cause this condition. If the temperature is fine, this sounds like a bacterial infection.

Treatment: Treat the fish with TMP Sulfa -or- Gentamycin Sulfate.

8. Click Here!

9. verboten53

verboten53 Plankton

Thanks for your advice. Appreciate the info on the clamped fins/sitting on the bottom. Soon as I feed the goldfish he swims up to eat then goes back to the bottom afterwards. Did not know you should not mix koi and goldfish. That is a surprise. Koi and goldfish are flashing or bouncing off the bottom of the tank. Are those parasites?

10. verboten53

verboten53 Plankton

Just wanted to say that I tried the metronidazole and it has seemed to work wonders. I am still watching the fish but they seem normal at the moment. Swimming vigorously and eating well. But will watch anyway for recurrence of symptoms. Thanks again.