interesting artical

Discussion in 'Salt' started by IceDragon, May 31, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

[quote author=JohnO link=board=Salt;num=1086028802;start=30#38 date=06/07/04 at 00:49:14]
    Nice rant DX, ( what's you name BTW? )
    I was luckier than most and had some good teachers like Viking, Tangster, Old Salt Guy, and some people on this board.
    John  :)
    [/quote]

I'm Drew.

I must be talking to the right people down under 'cause I've been talking to you and Tangster and Viking. I haven't run into Old Salt Guy yet, but I'm sure I will at some time. I know I'm talking to the right people at 3Reef 'cause we all Da Bomb!!! ;D

Not a bad rant yourself, John!!! I agree, I think the numbers are a smokescreen to cover up some wounded egos out there!!! [smiley=argue.gif]

Success is success, and the more people try different stuff is the cornerstone of how these things grow, through change.

I think I am leaning towards the Oceanic Salt, myself, as I am hearing positive feedback and no negatives. I wasn't really planning on propagating sea urchins anyway. ;)

2. Click Here!

3. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

LOL, LOL, LOL [smiley=lol.gif] Gresh...Oh shoot I forgot to get my Kudos snack bar and Fruitopia for breakfast...

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Gresham link=board=Salt;num=1086028802;start=30#39 date=06/07/04 at 01:17:00]Yes.  Dunno.  What is Denier?  Wrap and weft of the weave? Am I going to get knocked out? Bob and weave more like it:) Geesh, you lost me.  Scuze me while I drink some Pepsi cuz I saw it in a movie 23 times just now.  Gotta get some Nikes, just rememberred Jordan sure liked them, I mean, he was always wearing them ;)[/quote]

Just me being cryptic :)

The ( bad ) analogy I was trying to make is that some people are so paranoid about this hobby that they measure to the enth degree. These people will know what there salinity levels are down to the fourth decimal point but wouldn't know what a simple seat belt is made of, the salinity is of little consequence at that measurement level but the seat belt could save your life.

Anyway, I have to go tie my Kangaroo down and throw another shrip on the barby :)

John

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Hi there Drew :)

It used to be the case that people would discover things and then scientists would come in and try to explain the discovery, to document it and to test it.  

What happened?  

These days it seems that the scientists are the discoverers and what they have found is a lot of new ways to get people to spend their money.

Oceanic salt should be OK, the good doctor only ever wrote that it MAY effect sea urchin Larvae :)

6. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

I wasn't suggesting to use IO. You should use what you feel comfortable with and what gives you good success. Same goes for additives. I've always used Reef Crystals because it and IO, which are both made by aquarium systems, are easy to find around here.

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Reefman... where is around here?

8. Click Here!

9. reefman_MC

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

OK Cool.. you said you lived right by the beach... sorry I forgot.

11. reefman_MC

Not really right by the beach but close enough that I go pretty regularly, but I do have a beach house that is about a mile from the water.

12. wds21921

wds21921 Plankton

Like John O I've had good succes with IO salt and Coralife as well.
    To those who are touting Oceanic be aware that there is at least 1 very bad batch on the market. I know firsthand because it wiped out my system.
    The batch in question is 2500 lbs of Oceanic Natural Sea Salt Mix. There are no lot numbers on there bags or buckets so it's Russian Roulette for the consumer I'm afraid.
    See my other postings on here and my extensive postings on www.reefcentral.com as to what happened.
    While this effects only 1 "known"(?) batch there is no way to identify where it's been distributed to. So far through the help of other members I've identified at least 6 states so far.