Instant Ocean

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Kevin_E, Apr 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

RC is made by IO,RC is supposed to have more calcium,alk mag along with more trace elements,but not very much,although still a quality salt.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

So why would anyone buy instant ocean over the instant ocean reef crystals and then pay more to dose certain things? that does not make sense.

4. grinder37

Controlability

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Control for one, and Reef Crystals has things I don't want, namely "vitamins." I don't want any organics or weird "vitamins" in my salt mix. I want something that matches Natural Sea Water. I/O does that. Reef crystals has extras I don't want, many advanced aqaurists agree. Sanjay, Randy holmes and boomer for example.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

For me RC's mg levels don't always jive with my current mag levels, I end up with a higher mag level than I want I also notice an elevated alk level. The swing causes a momentary stress to my corals, so I alternate between the two and I do not dose for a few days prior to a water change with RC.

My intent is that I/O is a good product.

Once you have a tank dominate by stony corals you will be dosing anyways.

7. Toallhisdoom

Ah i see. If i only have a few corals and use I/O i wont need to dose anything right?

8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

You should be fine. I used it on my 30gallon with no dosing and had it slam full of lps and softies that did wonderfully well.

[​IMG]

10. grinder37

That would depend on the demand from the stony corals,clams,coralline algae and length of time between wc's.

11. Toallhisdoom

Ah well i dont like to do water changes as i have an over sized skimmer so i never have any nitrates, and phosphates are usually always 0.

But i have 1 toadstool, 4 mushrooms, a bunch of zoos, some pulsing xenia, torch coral, candy cane coral, encrusting monti. All seem to be doing fine without dosing.

12. wesley p

wesley p Flamingo Tongue

The guy I get my coral from told me to get rid of the reef crystals. He said it has an alk level of 13 dkh and that with a mainly sps tank it should be about 7-8 dkh.He said to try to keep it at 7-8 while using reef crystals is terrible because it will creat to big of a swing when doing water changes. Also he told me keeping my alk as high as reef crystals will cause alk burn on the corals. I would also like to hear some input because i still have a half of a 5 gallon bucket left.

Thanks