Instant Ocean Or Reef Crystals

Discussion in 'Salt' started by geodehunter, Sep 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BioFreak

BioFreak Feather Duster

Isn't Reef Crystals made by Instant Ocean?

So, in reality go with the crystals as that is there highest brand salt, and yes has more reefing compounds in it. But if you are running a FO or FOWLR tank than go with IO standard salt as it is cheaper.

2. Click Here!

3. mightyrae

mightyrae Spaghetti Worm

This question wont have any relevance since he is already going with Reef Crystals but wouldnt the extra nutrients in Reef Crystals feed one or more types of algae?

4. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

I have a friend who uses plain IO, but tops it off with pure calcium chloride to save money. He gets good results with that method.

I don't think they meant nutrients as in phosphate, nitrate etc. I think they meant calcium, magnesium, and carbonates.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

However, technically the answer is still yes... the additional reef elements in Reef Crystals will aid in the growth of coralline algae. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

+1 on the Reef Crystals. Been using it for 2yrs with much success :) good luck and have fun!

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

If you have mostly soft corals, I'd save a few bucks and go with IO. If you have a LPS or SPS dominated tank and have trouble maintaining parameters with IO, then it may be time to switch to RC. However, RC, contains some things that still may not be desirable. If your running lower alk for example, there is high alk content in RC, so, doing a large water change with it could spike your parameters, possibly stressing your corals (esspecially SPS). Also, RC contains vitamins, which will act as an organic carbon source and feed bacteria. This can cause problems in some tanks, especially ones without an effective protein skimmer, or for people who don't want to add a organic carbon source. So, a lot of people still use IO and just add magnessium, calcium and alkalinity, as needed, to bring the salt up to the desired levels.

8. Click Here!

9. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

I use reef crystals, but i bought a 200g box, and after its done, i will be trying other salts, ive been noticing the parameters in my new water are far to off on what my tank is actually at, for example, calcium in my new water is 350pp,, my tank is at 425ppm, alk is 8DKH and my tank is at 10.5 so i have to do alot of dosing and properly measuring everything before i can even put it in my tank prepping if you will, i have to mix my water 2 days ahead of time just to verify everything is perfect so i dont stress my corals (SPS) IMO ive used both reef crystals and the standard IO salts and really havent noticed a difference. except a higher magnesium concentration in reef crystals, everything else seems the same.

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Something seems off Shackman23.
    from here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1714505

At an s.g. of 1.026, RC should mix to
    ca: 490

alk: 13

mg: 1440

I'm using it and getting results in that range. It is usually a very consistent salt and well tested by hobyists. Usually when numbers don't match these, there is something else going on. You may want to check your refractometer, and test kits. To get an alk of 8dkh with RC, your s.g. would need to be about 1.016 though, so, I'd guess there may be a combination of factors.

11. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Dont want to hi-jack but yea i noticed that something was wrong, i dumped the batch i made, and made another lastnight and now im getting some odd readings, mg is 1450, which is good, cal is 450 good, alk..... 15?? not sure what is going on, i tested with my sailferts on everything, my ph is 8.3 and my salinity is 1.025 (keep it a little low for evaporation) but 15dkh? im a little nervous to add that to my reef... any suggestions?

12. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

+1 to reef crystals! Keeps my SPS doing great!