Input Needed: Maximize Area Idea

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Manny_World, Jan 12, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Manny_World

Manny_World Astrea Snail

I'm in the middle of installing baffles and just got a few ideas that put my project on pause.
    I'm working on my 75 gallon tank and have a basic 75 gallon wooden stand that measure 16x46x25.5 interior. It limits me to 20 gallon long sump/refugium... which is smaller than I would like. To utilize the small area I have, I came up with an idea to maximize space and would like input. My initial goal was to create a four section sump/refugium (skimmer, bubble trap, fuge, and return). Now that everything is coming along, I'm thinking of doing three (Skimmer, bubble trap, fuge) with the return pump in the fuge.

My thoughts:
    Not sweating anything at the moment since I want to do a BB fuge with just LR and macro algae, so I don't have to worry about anything damaging the return pump. To take precautionary measure, I'm thinking about installing an 'egg crate fence' around the pump to prevent macro algae from getting sucked up. This would give me a larger fuge area (roughly 7.5 vs 4.9 gallon fuge).

I know the advantage of a return section is to control evaporation and avoid micro bubbles. This mean my fuge will experience evaporation, which shouldn't be an issue as long as I top off the water, right? The return pump will be at the every end of the system. After the bubble trap and large surface area, I doubt any bubbles will get sucked up to the DT.

Any thoughts? :-/

Visual: (Not my design)
    Going for the same schematics below minus the baffle between the refugium and return pump.
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

That could work but sounds like it would just end up being a huge pain in the butt. a plastic knitting screen might be an option since strands of chaeto will get through the egg crate fairly easy.
    I think it's possible but may need quite a bit of trial and error. I would stick with a regular return section if I were you. I think you will forever be fighting clogs.
    Is that 25.5 inches tall for the tank interior?

4. Manny_World

Manny_World Astrea Snail

Thanks for your input. The 25.5 inch is the height clearance I have in my stand under my DT.

5. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

keep in mind your vertical clearance, and the necessity of getting equipment(skimmer) out of/into the sump.

as for the refuge/return, seems to be a bit of a challenge. it could work, but i would be concerned about chaeto getting into the pump.

6. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

I have that same set up under my 72 bowfront using a 20 long. But I have the return section on the left and skimmer in the center. My DT drains into the fuge section with chaeto and filter sock then skimmer then return. I have to chaeto or micro bubbles going into the return pump.

7. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

I would put my skimmer in the fuge before I put my return pump... with that said a local reefer has a plastic shower caddy lined with a small plastic screen that has all the macro in it. This allows him to remove all of the macro and trim it as he wants. It may be an option.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

just to weigh in on the design - I'm thinking you want the display water to go to the fuge first if possible.....that way your "dirtier" water has contact with the fuge for it to do its thing. If others that are experienced sump people don't recommend the RP in the fuge, I'd definitely go with that advice.

10. Manny_World

Manny_World Astrea Snail

Thanks for the input. Already accounted for the vertical height. Was going to do a 29 gallon at first until I realized I wouldn't have enough room to remove my collection cup. Yeah, starting to come up with another idea for the return pump.
    Sounds like a good plan, but it wouldn't work for me since I'm thinking about doing pods once I feel more comfortable.
    I like the sound of the plastic caddy with screen idea.
    Thanks once again for great advice.

11. Manny_World

Manny_World Astrea Snail

Thank you all for your input. I'm starting to get discourage. The only realistic solution I can think of now is to sell my skimmer and get a HOB one. That way I can just have an efficient fuge and return pump below the DT.

12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Id keep the skimmer in the sump. From my experience its more effecient and clean water is what you want. I wouldn't worry about pods. I have socks before and then my skimmer after my cheato/live rock and I have a large stock of pods.