injured mouth/lips

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by dowtish, May 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

So last night my local reef club meeting was at our best LFS. They were offering amazing deals to all members. Long story short I wanted to add my last 2 fish and being that they were Tangs, I wanted to do them both at the same time. I studied the 3-4 yellow tangs very closely before deciding which one looked to be the healthiest. But they only had one Kole Tang and it was on the bottom level of tanks. The fish looked great. Fins were immaculate, color was great. So I got it. Got them home around 9pm, and acclimated them. They were swimming about in no time, and really not much hiding at all. Being that they were the largest fish, I didnt think that would be an issue anyways. But my lights were off except for the lunar LED's.

Now to th actual point of my post, and all of the above is my justification for being an idiot:cry:.

I got home from work today and the Kole Tang's mouth is seriously injured! I don't know how I didnt notice this! I want to assume that it is from being held in a tank with crushed coral and nothing else. He is nipping at the sand and biting and spitting the food out so far. So it's not so bad that it isnt eating or wanting to, but I'm not certain that it is just injury or some sort of disease. He is showing all signs of being healthy other than the appearance of it's mouth. And he isn't picking on the rocks like they usually do. Is there something that I can do, other than soak my food in selcon? Or any other suggestions??

Can't seem to get a clear pic....sorry. And sorry for the long post.

2. Click Here!

3. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hard one!

I would say try some Melafix, but I just do not like recommending that in a mixed reef. It's supposed to be reef safe, but error on the side of caution.

My only other suggestion is a feeding clip with nori or red leaf lettuce or romaine. It might keep him from picking at the rock work and sand so much.

Good luck.

5. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I have nori on the clip, but neither tang seem interested as of yet. He barely is picking on the sand, but havent seen him pick on the rocks or glass at all. I really wish I could get a pic. I'll keep trying. He is so active, but man it's mouth looks bad, I just don't want him to starve. I think I might contact my LFS and see what they say. I can't imagine they knew either, but who knows.

6. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

So I found out that it is not an injury, but an infection. Kole Tangs are apparently known to get this. I have been using garlic guard with all my food, and decided not to go with any medication. Called my LFS and they were totally cool with me bring it back, but suggested letting it run it's coarse. I got home tonight and his mouth looks a lot better, and he is eating! Even picking on the rocks some. I am estatic to say the least. Hopefully things will be okay.