Information request about Coralife Biocube 29g

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Cheezefrog, Dec 10, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Cheezefrog

Cheezefrog Astrea Snail

I've been getting back into the hobby, I've been an enthusiast for years, I had a large setup, but I'm going with something small and formal because I'm planning on moving with the end of next year. I'm planning on doing some small things like just getting a habitat cultivating/growing corals/breeding fish possibly for future money making endeavors, but completely for testing and enhancing my knowledge on this subject specifically.

I have searched about every nano setup I could find both here and else where, but to put it collectively, I've heard(haven't seen biocube/nano setups) that can be run skimmer-less, sumpless, refugium-less. I was thinking of picking up the inTank filter basket / skimmer setup, although I'm trying to find whats suitable, I also haven't seen a half way decent "refugium" biocube setup either, even as the manufacture specifies, I just don't see any decent setups with the AIO...perhaps I am doing what one member said, and wanting all the bells and whistles, when its not really adequately required for this small of a setup..

So...I guess, short of what makes the differences versus not using another piece of reef equipment, the pros and cons; is there an article on this such as:

Mechanical Only Filtration/Skimmer(inTank Setup)
    Mechanical only fuge (inTank setup)
    Sump(custom setup--skimmer only)
    Sump & refugium(custom setup)

any inputs appreciated, I really hate to keep beating a dead horse but I'm trying to figure out what I should throw some money at, cost isn't really to big of an issue, as I am looking for long term things that I can use both on a small and large tank, I'm amatruish at best to the hobby, but always looking for input.
    I already picked up a reef octopus 110 skimmer and I can't use it because the spot under the matching cabinet for these tanks is idiotically small.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

4. Cheezefrog

Cheezefrog Astrea Snail

I read the thread, read many actually but I've decided to scratch the sump/refugium agenda... Unfortunately, essentially because I had bought a new reef oct. 110 skimmer to go with the setup now I can't even use it.

Ordered the inTank products including the Tunze, so will see how far, and dependable that setup gets me, as I haven't seen any decent looking refugiums in the back(even Coralife; on the box shows you can add a refugium light back there but it seems pointless) other then throwing some cheato, or turtle grass down on the bottom basket of the inTank filter. I still don't call that a refugium setup...I'm planning on just doing some coral growing/maybe clown breeding in this tank/hatchling tank, more so as an experimentation phase. I'm moving in the next year so I wanted to get something started, rather thats just getting some corals growing or which ever until these go in something more realistically of the 250-500g size..