Info on big tanks over 250g (B.C.)

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by argan, Jan 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. argan

argan Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I am looking at upgrading my 55g to a 300g+ system and i was wondering where some of the B.C. people got their tanks.

Are custom build or prebuilts eaisier to get? anyone with DIY big tank builds?

Thanks;D

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Jason McKenzie would be the one you need to talk chat with up that way on this rock. If you start the build make sure you post pics on a thread.

4. argan

argan Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

how thick is your glass otty? what was your experiance finding and buying the tank? most i see for sale are under 120g.

5. Scott Osborne

Scott Osborne Feather Duster

You want DIY big tank builds huh?

Try here fingerlakesreef.com ::

Right now were building a 1k gallon system. Infact we just got one of the 35 gallon Carlson Surges working reliably on it tonight!!!!

All of those tank builds are plywood epoxy tanks. However if you dont mind a framed look around the glass. Then I think its the way to go for 400+ gallon systems.

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Argan, I have a 370G tank. you can get custom takes build by any of the LFS in the Vancouver area. I would recommend Ocean Aquatics (Ask for Wendell) or J&L Aquatics ask for Jeff, Allen or Jack.
    Hidden Reef also does custom tanks but expect long delays.

Glass thickness really depends on length of the tank.Mine is 6.5 feet. so it's 3/4 inch glass. it;s actually 2 pieces of 3/8ths laminated together. not what I would have wanted

J

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

1/2" on the sides and 3/4" on the bottom. It is a Perfecto tank and I purchased it from a previous owner that was tired of the hobby. Just happen to run accross this person and couldn't pass up the deal. I had a 55 gal running that I've had since I was 19 yr old so it was a nice upgrade.
    Plan everything out on paper then pad the bank account...;D Once you step over a 180g tank things change and cost a little more money. ;)

8. Click Here!

9. Scott Osborne

I as a tank builder have always been under the impression that the depth is what determines the thickness of glass. In the 1k we only used 1/2 glass because the depth is less than 30". When ever we build a tank we model it in CAD first then have an engineer run stress tests on the design.

Ofcourse the length might affect it if its a rimless or thin eurobraced design. When I built a rimless 24" cube we used 5/8ths for that.

Jason, Do you get any strange viewing artifacts in the glass due to the lamination? Did they use low iron or Staphire glass?

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Just went through that thread....nice work. He will love the pennisula I know I sure do, no one can hide in the tank that way... ;D

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

It's Starphire glass and yes if your taking pictures it's got to be at 90 degrees to the glass.

My tank is eurobraced.

J

12. Scott Osborne

That kinda sucks....But then again the coolness quotiant of a 370g more than makes up for that.