infection?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Jason, Jul 30, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason

Jason Plankton

Two days ago I noticed a slight haze on one of my coral beauty's eyes. Today when I came home from work I see that his eye is swollen and very foggy and that he has a white spot on a scale just above his eye. Furthermore, he has been "hovering" very close to my sally lightfoots, in a manner similar to fish I've seen hovering near a cleaner shrimp.
    He still has a voracious appetite and is swimming around and being very active.
    Does anyone have any ideas? I can't tell what this might be from what I've read on various websites. I can set up a hospital tank quickly with extra equipment I have available, if need be. :-[

Thanks,
    Jason

2. Click Here!

3. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

I would set up a hospital tank very quickly! sounds like white spot hard to tell for sure with out seeing the fish. What are your tests coming out like is your water quality poor? What do you think brought this on? All though you might need to treat your whole tank if thats what it is?

4. Jason

Jason Plankton

My water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, sg, ph, temp) are all good, I test them weekly and do weekly water changes using deionized water.
    I just brought the little guy home from the LFS a couple of weeks ago so whatever is wrong is most likely stress related.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Oh man, sorry to hear that Jason. SOunds like 'popeye' - no joke - time to setup that quarantine tank, you are going to have to medicate him.

Antibiotics - penicillin (spelling) or medicated fish food if he will eat it. I think I read something about garlic once, but I can't remember.

:'(

Search around the net, plenty of info on popeye.

Usually from poor water quality or copper in the water I think.

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

sounds like popeye to me also

check out this fish disease page maby you can find someting that were not seeing

fish disease page

7. Jason

Jason Plankton

Good news - after a day and a half treatment with Mardel Maracyn-Two his eye is much clearer and the swelling has gone down. I'm going to continue treating him for the five days the product recommends and hopefully he'll be fine. Thanks for the advice!

Jason