infection on sailfin tang

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by kyle, Jan 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kyle

kyle Plankton

My sailfin tang has developed an infection of some sort and I cannot figure out what it is. at first he got white spots on his fins so I put him in QT and treated him for ick with hyposalinity and formalin medication. after a couple days the spots on his fins went away but this one spot got really bad, and the opposite side of his body is a weird color.. LFS said it's most likely a bacteria infection and gave me "maracyn-oxy" to treat with but that says to treat for 5 days max,and i'm on day 5 with no results. He eats a lot and acts healthy too.:confused: any ideas are greatly appreciated
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef.

Very hard to tell I might suspect lymphocytosis, but not the the normal area, usually fins but sometimes body. The disease is viral and self limiting, I have seen a lot of post about it of late.

Google it and see what you think.

4. kyle

kyle Plankton

Thank you,
    It seems as though it could be that if all the spots were grouped together, the fins in this post look similar to mine but a lot worse (slight white edges) ; FAQs: Fish Diseases, Treatments, Quarantine, Health Info

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have seen grouping ( so to speak ) on the head before.

Try fish TB as well.

If the fish is eating and healthy I suspect viral if not a visual parasite. If it were bacterial I would suspect behaviors like decreased coloration, decline in appetite, hiding, frayed fins.

Sorry I can not be of more assist.

6. kyle

kyle Plankton

well he does hide. but only when i go near him, like right now im 10 feet away and he's going to town on some nori but if i stand up and walk towards him he hides immediately. and will sometimes even lay down until i walk away.