Infected Zoanthids?

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by MrMatthew, Apr 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MrMatthew

MrMatthew Plankton

I've had these red zoanthids for a couple of months now and was doing very well ever since a few weeks ago. Some of them started to get these white dots all over their stems, not all them have the white dots only a section has them. About 25% of the entire colony has the dots on them. And the ones with the dots don't seem to open up at all. The rest of them open up just fine and look very healthy. Are my zoanthids infected with something? Like I said at first they were all doing fine, no issues at all. All opened up real nice and looked all very healthy. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It is definitly getting worse and it is spreading to the rest of the colony rapidly. It also seems that my purple zoanthids are starting to get infected with this and they are on the other side of the tank.

2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

1 person likes this.
  4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I agree with Red Gambit.

Welcome to 3Reef!!!

5. MrMatthew

MrMatthew Plankton

Thanks for the welcoming guys. Yeah pretty sure it's this zoapox at this point, I tryed a Lugol's solution dip for 15 minutes to see if that helps. Nothing instantanious with this stuff though. I guess it'll take a few days atleast to see any affects of the iodide working if it will work at all lol. Hopefully it does though, only thing now is I'm noticing it starting to form on my purple zoanthids now I think :( this is so not cool.

6. MrMatthew

MrMatthew Plankton

A couple of days later and still no posative affects from the 15 min Lugol's soulution dip. Still very sickly looking and white spots are spreading and getting worse. Any ideas on what I should try? At this point all I can think if is another dip maybe a little longer this time. Some of the stems look totally dead from the damage, can anyone recommened anything further?

7. fantasyaquatica

fantasyaquatica 3reef Sponsor

8. Click Here!

9. fantasyaquatica

fantasyaquatica 3reef Sponsor

after skimming through that. looks like furan 2 will cure it!

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

mrmathew its a great link check it up and keep us up to date!

11. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I have zoa pox on one of my pink colonies too. I've already ordered Furan2 from Foster and Smith. Follow the directions on the site listed above.
    I lost about 4 heads on that colony already. I also had an aiptasia in that frag, so that probably stressed them out.
    Good luck fixing it.

12. MrMatthew

MrMatthew Plankton

Thanks for the input guys, yeah I read through that link a few days ago. Unfortunately no one sells furan2 around here. And yes, now my purple zoas are infected. I have larger red zoas seemingly unaffected thankfully but who knows for how long. This totally sucks, I'm surprised how upset I am with my zoas being sick :( lol. I want them better already. ARGH. I really don't feel like waiting for getting furan shipped to me, they might be all dead by then. I'm going to try another much longer Lugol's solution dip again before I order anything. Wish me luck.