Increasing tank temperatures - long term solution needed

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Seano Hermano, May 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Hi everyone. My 29 gallon tank has had its ups and downs lately. Overall it is OK, but each summer the tank gets pretty warm and I am worried about bleaching.

We don't run air conditioning much just because it is so expensive in the summer (electric bill usually runs at about $250/month with the ac on). But with this comes increased temperature. Yesterday evening the tank got to 83.5* F.

I will be leaving town for the summer and then going off to college in the fall. Dad was going to care for the tank, but the tank temperature will still be an issue.
    For the price of air conditioning the house, would it be economical to purchase a chiller for my 29g tank/10g sump(around 35g total water volume)? And which would be best?

Would this small chiller work (meant primarily for nano tanks)? It does not specify a tank size (gallons/liters).

http://www.marinedepot.com/CoolWork...rium_Chillers-CoolWorks-CW1111-FICHMC-vi.html

http://www.marinedepot.com/CoolWork...rium_Chillers-CoolWorks-CW1131-FICHMC-vi.html

My other option would be to purchase this Aqua Euro 1/10 HP chiller (I think that should work), but ti's really more than I have to spend.

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaEuro...troller-AquaEuroUSA-ED1151-FICHINQCBC-vi.html

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

One thing my dad mentioned would be to move the tank to someone else's house (a fellow hobbyist) whom has air conditioning. While that sounds great for the health of the tank, I am not sure how plausible that would be.

4. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Well, considering you are only trying to take 5 or so degrees.. I think you don't really need a big chiller.

It's kinda like buying a small heater for the tank. It takes longer to heat it up but it will eventually. ( as long as it isn't too much water).
    I had my 29G heater on my 150G tank and it easily increased the temperature 10 degrees in the winter.

I am assuming chillers would do about the same thing here.

5. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

I don't think the hang-on will do much in on the 29 gal. Sorry...

I'm already worried about my 29gal temp too in the summer too, I'm building now...
    I'm close to having issues with my small tank but it'll be OK. I don't plan on running my AC all day for the tank but I may have to (it is also nice to come home to) on the scortching days!

If your tank is on the otherside of the bathroom, maybe you could run a line into the tank of the toilet, that water is always nice and chilly... I thought of this for myself but the tank is too far away hahaha

6. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Have you considered changing the lighting cycle? Are your lights in a canopy? I run my lights from 5pm to 3am in the summer. That way I am home to open the house p before the tank gets too warm. Another thing is that I have a fan on the tank. A simple fan blowing across the water's surface really works well unless you are in a humid area.

7. Seano Hermano

Well the increased temperature yesterday is when it was 82* outside. I'm worried about late July-august when it will get really hot out.

Interesting to see though, how you guys (ricardo / fatbastad) have opposite opinions/experiences.

The toilet idea would make an awesome DIY, but unfortunately we only have one bathroom in the house...and that's on the second floor above the kitchen. The tank is in the dining room.

I think if it were like a 10g tank the nano ice probe thing would work great. But it's not. lol. I wish they maid a chiller that was in between the two sizes. :-/

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

The lights are actually three par30s LEDs, not in a canopy but suspended (open-air). They hang about 8" off the water.

10. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

nice!

huh... have you tried a fan yet to see what it will do?

11. Seano Hermano

I currently have a fan running in front of the display tank. The room is fairly humid, so if it were blowing across the water evaporation would increase significantly.

12. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Yes it should unless humitity is hearing 100%.