Incoming Coral Placement

Discussion in 'Coral' started by clifgrmi24, Apr 7, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. clifgrmi24

clifgrmi24 Plankton

Hey all, need some help planning for some corals I've got coming in.

The tank is an 8 gallon with 15Ws of LED. I have a ricordea yuma, trumpet and hammer so far. The incoming corals are echinata, micromussa, ricordea, rhodactis, frogspawn, and acan. I realize they are all med-low light but I'm wondering which one's I can put a little higher up. Any suggestions for placement?

Also, any suggestions on what I can put towards the top of the tank? It seems 15W is too strong to put corals like I've got coming in at the top but too weak for SPS.

Thank you.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

All the above mentioned species have been acclimated and kept in mixed reef tanks with SPS under hundreds of watts of MH or T5 lighting, so I can't imagine a 15w LED being too strong for anything, even in a tank that small. If they're being shipped, they may need time (possibly a month or more) to recover and fully acclimate to your parameters, flow, etc at which time they might also require lower lighting. However, once they've fully adjusted and are completely opening, you should be able to move them up.