in tank refugium

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by BBell, May 29, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BBell

BBell Plankton

I'm setting up a new reef in a standard 75g aquarium. I plan using using the Jaubert system (deep sand bed with plenum). I'm also trying to plan ahead to include a refugium. My question is: What are the pros and cons of simply physically dividing the tank say 60:40 and using the small side as the refugium? The lighting set-up would be the same for both sides.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Assuming you glue a divider in, one of the con's would be a lack of flexibility down the road should you want to expand it. Where as, with a separate one you could do so easily.

The biggest con I think would be having to have the refugium on the same lighting cycle. You couldn't have any reverse daylight photosynthesis going on with the same lighting setup.

Other than that, not much. Since, unlike hospital tanks, refugiums are connected to the main system.

Hope that helps and...

[flash=468,60]http://www.3reef.com/fish/sitepics/threesteps3.swf[/flash]

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

A remote sump/refugium allows you to store much of your equipment out of sight. Better aesthetics without the clutter in the tank. i.e. heater, skimmer, filter, etc.

Welcome and hope that helps!

:) ;) :D ;D 8)

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Dividing a tank for a refugium, excellent idea. I forsee zero problems other then rpp (reverse photo periiod) that Matt brought up. 60/40 is a little much, I'd scale it down to a max of 30/70, better yet 1/4 to 3/4.

6. Craig Manoukian

A remote sump will increase your volume of water and gas exchange.

:) ;) :D ;D 8)

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

True, but I still foresee zero problems with his set-up. Hang on Tank refugiums offer very little in the way of volume of water and gas exchange, I see his option to be very close to a HOT set-up, but with a larger area to work with. Divided tank refugium offers you two tanks in one. Two serepate regions to work with. I'd keep all fish/inverts outa your refugium, keep it a macro zone, with xenia(great nutrient exporter, sell it when you get to much (or the toilet, if you get as much as me) and no hermits.

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

I'm talking about a remote 20 gallon sump/refugium. Will provide all the benefits I've listed above without the elimination of valuable swim room for the fish. Will drastically limit fish selection (i.e. tangs). I've got an 80 gallon tank that I am adding a remote 20 gallon sump/refugium to as we speak and for all the reasons I've stated here. It is roughly the 1/4 ratio you referred to above.

Yes an in tank refugium will work, but if there is an option, an external sump/refugium is better IMHO. No real disagreement here just a different approach, eh?

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

All my refugiums are remote, so theres no argument at all. I was telling him his option that he's looking into is just fine. I figured since he didn't ask about the differences, or optional set-up styles, that he'd all ready done his research and was leaning towards a simplier (less labor & parts) approach (in tank refugium). I didn't want to discourage him from doing it, its a totally exceptable appraoch, and its got a few advantages over others. For one, even though all my refiums are on a reverse photo period, I havn't seen any real change in my ph fluctuation. I've been testing three of my refiums for over two years now, the only reason I have my lights on a reverse photo period, is because of the electricity draw, and heat. I feel its safer for me to put less draw at one time, this ciruit is near max as is Plus its so easy to work on my sump after hours now, its always lit up then. An in tank refugium will have more critter transfer, plus it'll act as a settling chamber for detritus, which will release nutrients for the macro aglaes to uptake and be exported. Plus display refugiums are so cool, I love my mangrove tidal zone refugium.

11. BBell

BBell Plankton

Thanks to all for the advice/ input. As it has been suggested, I'm looking at alternatives to a sump refugium. As a rule, I'm not a big fan of sumps and the tank I'm setting up have an open stand that for aesthetic reasons I'd like to leave that way. I also want to be able to view the fuge.
    Re: RPP, is the advantage oxygen usage? As I understand it, pH swing is actual a disadvantage to RPP, correct? Will the protein skimmer make up for the O2 not being supplied by the fuge at night?

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=BBell link=board=Refugium;num=1054245408;start=0#8 date=06/03/03 at 09:34:36]Will the protein skimmer make up for the O2 not being supplied by the fuge at night?[/quote]

Yes. It will help. I have thought of that before. I always thought it would be cool to run a skimmer at night just for that reason on a timer. But I couldn't get around the fact that the skimmer would sit there with water in it soaking up the grime for 12 hours and then dump it in the sump when it turns on. hehe. Leaving it on would be easier.