In love with Plecos...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by phal.repth, Feb 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. phal.repth

phal.repth Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

This is what I'd like to do with my 36G corner tank:

Having bottom feeders and different breeds of plecos. I love them! Catfish, plecos, all sorts of catfish. I do know that a lot of different pleco breeds don't get as big as regular plecos. Would this be a bad idea? I've read a lot about them and their temperments, so as far as I can tell, they would be alright.

_chi_

2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

There are a couple species of plecos that only get a few inches long. I believe the zebra pleco might be one that could fit long term in your tank, but that may be wrong. Most plecos, however, will grow to be far to big for your tank. Do some research and find a species that stays around 5 inches, which do exist, and go ahead and get one.

4. BorntoReef

BorntoReef Fire Worm

the problem with stocking it full of catfish and plecos, the food. you can get those sinking wafers, but i've had bad luck with them. It's best to let some algae grow on the back wall and let the feast begin. I've never had luck with bottom feeders, this may be a good thing, but not much food gets to the bottom with my white skirt tetra.

5. Dsilowka3

Dsilowka3 Fire Worm

Ditto on that, feeding will be your toughest task. Ive managed to keep catfish, but never a pleco. However this is a really cool idea and there are some really nice fancy plecos out there: Vampire, gold nugget, imperial zebra, Blue spot etc. etc. Goodluck! :)

6. yeager003

yeager003 Bristle Worm

Some plecos such as the "clown pleco" also suppliment their diet with driftwood. Read carefully on each species.

7. phal.repth

phal.repth Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thanks everyone for you comments. I do have tons of drift wood in there. A smorgasbord of sort, they will be fat!

_chi_