Impressive Par 38 led spotlight setups

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by EC-LED, Sep 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. EC-LED

EC-LED 3reef Sponsor

(I am also making a mental note to set up a sponsor board for you. )

Thank you Matt.

I agree. They don't care about their lighting looks.

I have more pics.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Clearly some of them care, like this guy/gal:

[​IMG]

4. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Notice that that tank is 30-36" long and running 12 bulbs. To top it off, He still seems to have a need for an additional loght hood. this is why I crack up when people are telling others that you can run mid sized to larger tanks with a few PAR 38s.

I just don't see why one would want to run that many PAR bulbs. for the cost, it just sems to make more sense going with a fixture.

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I agree people tend to recommend too few PAR bulbs. Especially as most of the PAR bulbs on the market are under-driven. You can get away with it sometimes because of the spotlight effect, but you won't get even illumination.

This seems like overkill though. I'm not sure it's accurate to say "He still seems to have a need for an additional loght hood." A lot of people think they need much more light than they actually do and just keep add as much light as humanly possible. Heck, the other day someone on another forum was telling someone he needed as much light as possible because reefs average 2500PAR. I thought this was interesting as the sun only averages about 2000 LOL. Never mind photosaturation and all those nuisances I guess :lol:

EC-LED, the lights look nice. I had seen your website, but there was no information about pricing or where to buy. Are these sold in the US?

6. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Not sure what type of bulbs these are but they dont look like the 5-7 led par38s that we in the USA use. they probably dont pack as much punch as the nanotuners/rapidled/ect par38s. i know 5 bulbs is more than enough for my 36" 65g. if i put 12 bulbs on my tank it would be way overkill.

EDIT- just took a look at the website, so that guy/gal has 108 leds over that tank!?!?! hooooly smokes

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Also, if we look at a PAR contour plot, from say the boost PAR30s (since I have it in front of me), with 40deg optics for example, we see the PAR drops off pretty quick to the sides. This is pretty typical. If we wanted even, high PAR illumination, we would need to pack a lot of them together. Whether or not that is "necessary" is subjective I guess. Even in the highest PAR ranges they are only 400ish, so, for a clam and certain high light SPS corals, this is actually not necessarily that high to begin with. Some corals and certainly clams, may not even photo saturate until a bit over that. If you want the max light these clams and certain corals can use (i.e. photosaturation point), you need more...

[​IMG]

10. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

Yin vs. the Yang?

11. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

It may be more than is what is needed but it is really about balance. PAR vs length of photoperiod. If it was too much, his corals would be bleached. Noticing that the corals seem to have nice coloration, I would have to say he does not have too much. He has balance! :D

12. EC-LED

EC-LED 3reef Sponsor

Hi M2434

Thank you. Yes they are sold in US. We don't have the price info on the web site yet. We sell direct, if you are looking for further information please contact us via email.

[email protected]