Importance of flow on growth (video- need input)

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Kevin_E, Sep 30, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Two parts:

1) Can someone provide an example of what flow should look like in an SPS tank. I have over 50x tank volume for flow from 4 different powerheads, but a few on may Acropora still see very little movement in their polyps and I am wondering if that should be a concern. They sit relatively still (maybe a slight movement) most of the time until a breif purst of current streams by.

2) How does lower flow effect the growth of coral. Does it effect more than it's structure (i.e. thicker branches) or does it effect rate as well? I recall it having an effect on oxygen transfer and oxygen radical formation.

Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

In my experience, and from what I've seen in other peoples sps tanks, there's no such thing as too much flow. I'm no acro pro either, someone else should chime in, soon.

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks, Chance. I can achieve what I am looking for by pointing powerheads at the SPS, but I am afraid the direct current is not what I should be after.

It's not blowing steadily to one side when I do so (the sway), bu I am still not sure it's ideal.

5. Rhoads238

Rhoads238 Spaghetti Worm

Wow i will definitely be following this thread.

Im a sps noob and cant speak for my own experience but I remember reading a comment somewhere possibly on reef central's tank of the month or on zeovit forums tank of the quarter that someone said that their tank has exceptionally high flow and this caused the corals to grow shorter thicker branches. (run-on sentence warning) IMO that makes sense since they would need to be stronger to resist increased force. They also went on to comment if they could do it all again they would design their tank with less flow in the future. All this said I'm sure i dont have to worry about that in my tank and it probably goes for most of us.

6. Baraspatch

Baraspatch Astrea Snail

With a lower flow, SPS will grow thinner, longer branches. This is because they don't need to resist a stronger flow, and also because longer branches means that they can reach out further for food, since the the lack of flow will not deliver them as much food and matter opposed to a stronger flow.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thank you for the responses. I gathered the same as you all. High flow, thick branches, low glow thinner branches.

Does inadequate flow- we'll define it as very little movement of polyps- have an effect on growth rate?

8. Click Here!

9. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

I think it does have an effect. it brings more food to the polyps. when my tank is at its peak in the cycles (roughtly every 15 minutes, I have in the neighborhood of 10,000 GPH circulating in my tank. WOW, thats alot of water, even for a 180. I ahve a pair fo WP40's rated at 3000 GPH that are at about 90%. one is W1, other is ELSE. they are ~2700 GPH each (90%). eveyr 15 minutes my closed loop comes on for 3 minutes. it is a DART rated at 3600, but lets call it 3000 (elbows and such) toss in ~1000gph from my returns and you have close to 10,000 GPH. it is a VERY random flow in some areas with a back and forth and also very laminar in other areas. The Acros that are in the higher flow area do seem to be thicker or more dense in their structure. those that are in the lower areas seem to be more spread out. However, the type fo coral makes a HUGE difference in this as well. a stag will inherently be spread out but will tend to have thicker branches. Birdsnest will be a tighter ball if it has stronger flow, and very twigy if it is in lower flows.

you dont want the pump aimed directly at the coral I like mine aimed just off to the side or at one from across the tank. this will give you the best flow IMO.

**I am no expert but i have done fairly well with my SPS. I truly feel that alot of flow around the corals is good.

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks. I will say the basis of my post is to convince me to buy a wp25.

11. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Get one.. I would love to add a pair of them to my back wall.

12. pizza101

pizza101 Flamingo Tongue

I have one WP40 in my 100 gallon tank and for 85.00 bucks on Ebay, I have NO dead spots in my tank and have to turn it down to med. flow because its just too much! Love it!!!