I'm so excited!

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by oldfishkeeper, Feb 26, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

was just looking in the tank (and bummed at its ugliness) but lo and behold, I found a clutch of clown eggs on the rock next to their anemone! They have finally laid eggs!! I've been waiting a very long time for this to happen :) just wanted to share! I will finally be able to take the next step in this hobby - trying to raise the fry.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Well that is just wonderful Mindy.

Congratulations wow. Sounds like a great adventure!

4. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

5. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

AWESOME!!!!

6. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

swwaaaaaaawwwwwwweeeeeeet!

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Congrats OFK!!

How long have you had the clowns? Been about 3 years here and Ive neevr seen eggs doesnt mean someone else hasnt eaten them yet though.

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

thanks all for the congrats! :) thanks vinny for the link! I've had them about 2 1/2 years at this point pgh. It could very well be that they have laid before and I just hadn't seen it. I need to start doing some serious research! I don't know how much hubby is going to like that this means more tanks in the house lol - I'm going to use my boys' room since it's primarily a storage room at this point with one moved out and one at college.

11. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Good luck, I know nothing about raiding fry for SW fish but hear its pretty difficult because of feeding.

I did raise some cyprichromis unita fry, an african cichlid. Pretty neat the female held the eggs in her mouth and starved for 3 weeks. As soon as I saw the egg sacs go away I would catch the female at night and gently pry the mouth open to release the fry into a container so that the female wouldnt spit them in the tank where theyd be eaten. Used crush flake food and raised em up to adults!

Its a very rewarding experiance and also stressful. I had a 12 hour power outage in the middle of the winter and the tanks temp kept dropping, somehow didnt lose any fry! FW fish can be much easier than SW sometimes