I'm scared of my zoas!!

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by kcbrad, Mar 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

So, I've been buying a lot of zoas lately. I know they can secrete neurotoxins, but I wasn't really worried. I wear gloves whenever I handle them. But then today I started reading on the internet about them (oh, the evils of the internet lol) and have freaked myself out!

How toxic are zoas? Do they always emit these toxins, or only when hurt? So, is my aquarium water now full of neurotoxins that will hurt me?

Anyone that knows anything, please share! My worry wart is growing. ;)

Thanks!

P.S. I also think it's scary that I bought zoas from two LFS. Neither place warned me of the danger or had signs anywhere!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

The amount of toxin they have varies by species. From what I have read only a few have it in high concentrations. But they all have some. I think your most at risk when fragging them, but to be safe you should wear gloves anytime you are handling them or might touch them.

Also its called Palytoxin.

1 person likes this.
  4. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I handle them all the time...I have never had any ill effects!

1 person likes this.
  5. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I touch mine with out gloves too. But I'm not going to tell anyone else too. If they get sick or die that would suck. I haven't fragged mine yet, but when I do I will use gloves and eye protection.

6. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Peppermint Shrimp

they are toxic, but dont over react. i have alot of zoas and handled them bare handed. common sense goes a long way. dont handle them with a cut on your skin, and wash your hands when your done with them.

2 people like this.
  7. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I wouldn't get too stressed, just take care if you are handling them. I've read that Palys are the ones that have more of the polytoxin youi're worried about. Zoas do have them to some degree but there's so many variations who knows which ones are the most potent.

My LFS guy laughs and says just don't eat them. Also if you frag them in a tub or bowl, make sure to get rid of water as it is dangerous for animals to accidentally drink.

I've handled mine with cuts on my hands before knowing they were toxic and never had an issue. I've touched them many times, no ill effects.

Also if the level of dangerous toxin was present in all the zoas/palys in the SW trade, you would have a lot more stories of death and harm from them. You would have lawsuits all over the place and disclaimers on every zoas/paly sale. I think the truly deadly ones are very isolated and it's good to use caution but don't worry over it in any way.

FYI the polytoxin in zoas/palys is the same poison used on blowdart tips, kinda interesting.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Okay, thanks everyone!! After I put my new zoas in the tank this morning I thought I could feel my right arm going numb!! Lol dang internet. ;)

I'll just make sure to wear gloves and all should be fine.

So the normal aquarium water is safe, right? With regards to the zoas? Only should be super worried about fragging water?

10. DanKistner

DanKistner Coral Banded Shrimp

Now I know an inconspicuous way to get rid of those darn stray cats!!!! Ha ha ha, JK

11. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I know right, if anyone breaks in my apt. I'm grabbing the spear gun and dipping it in my zoas :)

KC yes the frag water is much more likely to have concentrated levels of any of the toxin, don't leave it around if you work with them. I've read stories of animals drinking and dying from the water. The tank water is fine, again, the level of toxins a majority of the zoas/palys have in the trade is minute.

Think of it like this. You buy a car, drive it for 8 years, one day you find a memo that is 3 years old that says "warning, the air bag on your car may deploy at anytime". Now it's stil the same car, but all the sudden you are not so comfortable driving it anymore, but you were fine those past 3 years :)

12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Okay, thanks for easing my irrational fears!! :) I can once again love my zoas!