I'm Perplexed

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by Lady J, Aug 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

I'm not sure if my 30g. wide is considered large enough for the betta to ignore other fish, but at the moment there are 5 rummynoses, 6 corys (3 julii and 3 sterbae [sp?]), and 3 snails. The betta isn't paying any attention to them so the tank size must be ok, he just won't swim around very much.

Another thing I'm now dismayed about is that when the lights are on the rummynoses are staying at the very bottom of the aquarium and competing for space with the corys----when it's off the rummynoses are active in the mid-level area of my tank. Obviously they like a more dimly light home.

I was so careful and researched a lot but it seems I didn't make very good choices. I want to see my betta, not have him stay in one little spot and rarely come out. IDK. I wish I could put in maybe 3 slower swimmers that are gentle and more "quiiet" than the boisterous corys and rummynoses, but I don't know what type of fish that would be.

2. Click Here!

3. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

I can't believe it, one of the rummynoses chased the betta and nipped him. What the heck is going on??????

4. Caspian

Caspian Coral Banded Shrimp

Group think of tetra... Can be almost as bad as group think of barbs. not often does it happen but it can.

5. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Thank you for your response. Well, I didn't choose the neon tetras for the very reason that even in a large school they might nip at the betta's fins. In the past 5-6 hours the betta hasn't come out at all---well, he did for about 5 seconds and then went down again, almost under the driftwood.

I called my LFS and they said it was fine if I brought all of them back and took stored credit. My tank might look boring with lack of activity, but I don't care. I want my betta out and I don't think he's going to with everything going on. I cannot believe how shy he's being.

I'm going to add some more plants and snails and just be happy with my one little male in the tank! :)